cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spidermike
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Blocking spam

How many blocked senders are we permitted to have?

I am getting anything from 10 to 50 spams a day, and block any addresses I see as new then if the domain recurs, I have been chaning the block address to the domain @[NAME]. But now I am being told I cannot add any more because I have exceeded thermitted number of blocked senders.

Also, I have added some rules which do not seem to work. So I have set it up to move to the spam folder anything with 'Bingo' in the sendor, the subject or the text - and still some gets through.

Which brings me onto a third question: you have the sender name visible but if you hover over the sender name it shows you the actual address. How does the rule work? For example, you see a spoofed address of 'Amazon' and hovering over th sender name shows the sender was actually ''IamaPITA'.

- when I use the 'block sender' command does it block based on the visible address ('Amazon') or on the real sender (''IamaPITA')

- when setting up a rule which does it work on? 

The number of spams is really hacking me off and any help is gratefully received.

Regards

Mike

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 15

Re: Blocking spam

@Spidermike wrote:

How many blocked senders are we permitted to have?

@I am getting anything from 10 to 50 spams a day, and block any addresses I see as new then if the domain recurs, I have been chaning the block address to the domain @[NAME]. But now I am being told I cannot add any more because I have exceeded thermitted number of blocked senders.

Also, I have added some rules which do not seem to work. So I have set it up to move to the spam folder anything with 'Bingo' in the sendor, the subject or the text - and still some gets through.

Which brings me onto a third question: you have the sender name visible but if you hover over the sender name it shows you the actual address. How does the rule work? For example, you see a spoofed address of 'Amazon' and hovering over th sender name shows the sender was actually ''IamaPITA'.

- when I use the 'block sender' command does it block based on the visible address ('Amazon') or on the real sender (''IamaPITA')

- when setting up a rule which does it work on? 

The number of spams is really hacking me off and any help is gratefully received.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike.

I gather from your post you are using webmail.

The blocking is done on the actual name/email address "below" the hovering. What you see on the face of it is simply a name the spammer chooses to give as the "Sender". You can set your own name in the config area to anything you want, but the email address naturally remains the same. (Of course, spam is different and not simply done that way).

As for blocking certain words - spammers know this, and frequently use different letters/numbers - or hidden spaces, weird non printing characters and all sorts in place of the words.

So a siimple word block doesn't always work, and can be counterproductive - for example a mate of yours might say "Off to Bingo" as a title, with text saying "I've just started going to Bingo, it's great fun - want to join me?"

You would never see that email. It might be a poor example, but you can see the possible issue. However, a text from your mate would be far better 🙂

Frankly blocking the sender is pointless, since spammers don't use their own email addresses, domains or anything. They either spoof or forge them. Often they can pretend to be real companies, causing all sorts of problems for that company sometimes.

This is one of the massive problems of using webmail, using a mail client program is far better - and you can personalise filters and blocks far easier.

Corporate ISP blocks of spam is a lot different, since they need to try to avoid false positives - hence sometimes spammers get the upper hand with a lot of spam being let through to some users for a while, before the anti-spam engines catch up with the signatures and block effectively.

0 Ratings
Totigirl
Message 3 of 15

I too would appreciate a solution as the Help desk treat me like I dont know what I am doing. We get at least 50 Spam emails a day, even after we have blocked the sender and marked as Spam. Seriously considering changing to GMail. Helpdesk cant help

0 Ratings
Mike_German
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

I didn't want to be yet another person who said "it is the same for me" ... but it is, I am get 50 odd spams a day.  I am more concerned about the possible phishing content and exposure to malware.  My experience of the sender address and careful examination of the  contents is that they are not wanting anyone to reply to anything but the unsubscribe.  I cannot do anything but filter these manually which is a pain for a multi-platform user.  Quite honestly if BT cannot do anything or offer good advice on the subject,  I will be moving to a new ISP.  Does BT monitor this community?  If they do PLEASE DO SOMETHING!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

I do have a suggestion which will quite often works, as spam is not usually personally addressed to you. You are part of a big list.

This is on my forumhelp website this may help with spam

I am assuming that the BT Yahoo mail interface has not changed.

It may also work with BT mail, provided that those options are available on the webmail interface.

0 Ratings
Spidermike
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

Hi Andy

Sorry for not replying sooner but I have been away on business. 

Yes, I am using webmail. It is all so frustrating because these never happened when BT were with Yahoo - so much of BT email service has degraded since the move away from Yahoo. I cannot be the only person getting emails from these addresses and one characteristic of spam is that it is sent to a gazillion people so content patterns would tell the algorithms it is spam - it seems BT is far, far behind other providers in their email services.

But thank you for your comments about the difference of webmail vs client programmes. Do you have any suggestions?

I am new to all this so I presume that the client accesses the BT e-mail account, pulls in the mail items and can filte out before you see them. What happens to them then? Does the client then go back to BT mail and tell it to delete those emails as spam (or move them to the spam folder) so if I do need to access the webmail account when travelling I only see the non-spam?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Andy only posts occasionally, but I should be able to help.

I use the free Thunderbird e-mail client, and there are two options regarding spam.

The first option is to use its own adaptive spam filter, where you mark messages as spam or not spam, and it learns from that.

The other option is to configure mail filtering on the inbox, so it will delete or move mail to a different folder, depending on your defined rules.

Provided you configure Thunderbird as IMAP, then you will see all folders, as it will replicate whatever is on the mail server, and you will still be able to view them on other devices.

If you delete any message from Thunderbird, then it will update the server, and it will be deleted from the server.

You can add as may extra e-mail addresses as you wish, and it will check them all.

The is a guide on this page Using the Thunderbird e-mail client - IMAP connection

I hope this helps.

0 Ratings
Spidermike
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

Excellent, Keith. Thank you for your time and help. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

If you need more help, then please ask. As far as I know, the information on my website is correct, as I have just checked it.

If you have a lot of emails, and a lot of folders, it can take a couple of minutes to synchronise with the e-mail server, but you should see a mirror image of the sever contents, including the spam folder.

0 Ratings
Mike_German
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Keith, Sorry for the long delay - I have been away from home for a while.

Yes I am using BT webmail.  I download emails to MS Outlook on my PC and my wife and I use iPhones and iPads to read mail and, of course, the BT webmail spam that gets through on 5 devices which is tedious to say the least.  Hence the hope of a solution that will stop the spam where it enters the system at BT webmail servers. I use 4 email addresses with BT and 2 suffer from this problem.

I have tried the rules suggestion on your forumhelp website and it is partially successful ... but they still keep coming at the rate of 10 to 15 a day.  The "Reply To" or "From Field" changes with each spam item and cannot be blocked.  Some of them appear to be addressed to me only and so your solution will not work.  If there is anyone with the technical ability, I have a number (growing by the hour 😞  ) of these spams that I can provide for investigation.  I would be surprised if I am the only one suffering from this plague!

0 Ratings