Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Waynefb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Bounced back email

Hi,
Ive been trying to contact my local council but i keep getting a delivery failed error message, saying that btopenworld is not accepted. I dont quite understand what the message means and why it isnt delivering my message. I will paste the error message below - id be very grateful if someone could interpret this error message please.
Thanks.
Wayne.
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

rostrvm@canterbury.gov.uk
    host ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM [74.125.140.26]
    SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
    550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from btopenworld.com is not accepted due to
    550-5.7.1 domain's DMARC policy. Please contact the administrator of
    550-5.7.1 btopenworld.com domain if this was a legitimate mail. Please visit
    550-5.7.1  https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690 to learn about the
    550 5.7.1 DMARC initiative. 62-v6si6713121wrd.230 - gsmtp
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
BT Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Bounced back email

@Waynefb

Looks like you are using Google's SMTP servers to send a email from the domain btinternet.com/btopenword.com. There is a policy in place to reject/bounce back all emails that are not sent from a valid smtp server.

This is why your email is being rejected.

You  need to use the dedicated smtp servers for a @btinternet.com/@btopenworld.com domain http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/~/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoing-and-incomi...

BT ExpertJamesC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, on technical queries, where I can. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 4

@Waynefbwrote:
Hi,
Ive been trying to contact my local council but i keep getting a delivery failed error message, saying that btopenworld is not accepted. I dont quite understand what the message means and why it isnt delivering my message. I will paste the error message below - id be very grateful if someone could interpret this error message please.
Thanks.
Wayne.

Hi.

How have you set up your email address to send emails? What app/client are you using?

Has this just started to happen?

See :-

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22370?hl=en

which should enable you to send your btinteret/btopenworld emails using gmail servers.

0 Ratings
Waynefb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Hmmm, dont quite understand this at all.
Im using the email app that came with my phone (Samsung Galaxy a3, android 6.0.1).
Its IMAP & seems to have btinternet for both incoming & outgoing servers and SSL enabled for both. I even tried changing to "SSL (accept all certificates)" and tried sending again but this bounced back too.
It seems only to be emails sent via the council website - ive never seen this error message before and other emails sent from my email app are getting through ok.
Could it be some kind of clash between Chrome browser and the BT servers?
Thanks.
Wayne
0 Ratings