Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scuba_junkie
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Bt Yahoo! Premium mail sub account can't use POP3

Go to solution

Hi,

Hope there is someone who can help me out with this email problem - I've tried everything I can think of and am still stuck!

I have a btinternet.com premium mail account. The primary account works fine, no problems at all.

I have a sub-account that also used to work fine, but since 9th September 2011 won't pick up email via POP3. I can log into it via webmail, I can post from Mozilla Thunderbird using SMTP, but when I try and pick up the mail via POP I get the following error message:

Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.mail.yahoo.com responded 'Access to this service is not permitted'.

So, bearing in mind that I'm using the same mail client, the same server settings, the correct password (because I know it works with Webmail), the same firewall settings as the primary account which still works fine, is it reasonable to conclude that this is a BT Yahoo! server issue?

And if so, does anyone have any idea how to get it resolved? I got transferred to the Premium Mail Help Dept, who wanted to be granted remote access to the box and hung up on me when I refused to allow them.

Using the logging facility on Thunderbird, the crucial part of the handshake seems to be this bit:

0[160f140]: SendUsername()
0[160f140]: SEND: AUTH PLAIN

0[160f140]: Entering NET_ProcessPop3 4
0[160f140]: POP3: Entering state: 3
0[160f140]: RECV: + 
0[160f140]: POP3: Entering state: 31
0[160f140]: NextAuthStep()
0[160f140]: POP3: Entering state: 6
0[160f140]: POP3: Entering state: 50
0[160f140]: SendPassword()
0[160f140]: PLAIN login
0[160f140]: Logging suppressed for this command (it probably contained authentication information)
0[160f140]: Entering NET_ProcessPop3 54
0[160f140]: POP3: Entering state: 3
0[160f140]: RECV: -ERR [AUTH] Access to this service is not permitted.
0[160f140]: setting auth failure
0[160f140]: POP3: Entering state: 31
0[160f140]: NextAuthStep()
0[160f140]: command did not succeed
0[160f140]: auth failure, setting password failed
0[160f140]: ERROR: 4005
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 3

Re: Bt Yahoo! Premium mail sub account can't use POP3

Go to solution

@scuba_junkie wrote:

Hi,

Hope there is someone who can help me out with this email problem - I've tried everything I can think of and am still stuck!

I have a btinternet.com premium mail account. The primary account works fine, no problems at all.

I have a sub-account that also used to work fine, but since 9th September 2011 won't pick up email via POP3. I can log into it via webmail, I can post from Mozilla Thunderbird using SMTP, but when I try and pick up the mail via POP I get the following error message:

Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.mail.yahoo.com responded 'Access to this service is not permitted'.

So, bearing in mind that I'm using the same mail client, the same server settings, the correct password (because I know it works with Webmail), the same firewall settings as the primary account which still works fine, is it reasonable to conclude that this is a BT Yahoo! server issue?

And if so, does anyone have any idea how to get it resolved? I got transferred to the Premium Mail Help Dept, who wanted to be granted remote access to the box and hung up on me when I refused to allow them.

Using the logging facility on Thunderbird, the crucial part of the handshake seems to be this bit:

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Have you tried altering the server to mail.btinternet.com (which is the proper one to use) or maybe pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk

Have a look at my shortcuts (link below), option 12b - logging in with the sub account. It will tell you the product ID.

I've just tried pop.mail.yahoo.com and get the same message as you

scuba_junkie
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: Bt Yahoo! Premium mail sub account can't use POP3

Go to solution

Thanks for the fix - setting the POP server to 'mail.btinternet.com' worked.  I think I'd become fixated on the idea that if the settings worked for the main account, they should work for the sub-account too.

0 Ratings