Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
egros
Contributor
Message 11 of 22

Re: BtMail Migration

For me it cannot be too slow.

I am informed that BT will drop POP3 support once the change has happened.

I for one do not want to use imap so I am studying my options.

0 Ratings
petethegreek
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 22

my mail has already migrated the only thing i lost were the disposable email address i had created. otherwise it doesnt seem that much different to yahoo mail.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 22

@egros wrote:

For me it cannot be too slow.

I am informed that BT will drop POP3 support once the change has happened.

I for one do not want to use imap so I am studying my options.

Why do you think they will drop POP3? I certainly do not wish to use IMAP

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 14 of 22

BT are not dropping POP3 support.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 22

petethegreek wrote:

my mail has already migrated the only thing i lost were the disposable email address i had created. otherwise it doesnt seem that much different to yahoo mail.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Pete ,

can you please tell us a) when you were migrated, b) how you were notified and c) how much in advance you received the notification. 

BT do not seem prepared to give us this information.

0 Ratings
egros
Contributor
Message 16 of 22

A very nice man from India! phoned me in response to my enquiry about POP3 and assured me it would not be dropped!

Andthen rang back about half an hour later to inform me that he had just been told they would drop POP3 some time in the future, "for security reasons".

0 Ratings
Highlighted
D------t
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 22

I was told by Bt they would start migration last week. so Petethegreek has been migrated BT have told the truth for once. when will the rest of us go ??? anychance ofsome info Pete when you was migrated ? can you still use yahoo answers?

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 18 of 22

@egros wrote:

A very nice man from India! phoned me in response to my enquiry about POP3 and assured me it would not be dropped!

Andthen rang back about half an hour later to inform me that he had just been told they would drop POP3 some time in the future, "for security reasons".

Clearly there's some confusion. There's a good chance that non-encrypted POP3 on port 110 will be disabled, and I would strongly encourage them to do so. SSL POP3 on port 995 is not going to be disabled though.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
egros
Contributor
Message 19 of 22

"Clearly there's some confusion. There's a good chance that non-encrypted POP3 on port 110 will be disabled, and I would strongly encourage them to do so. SSL POP3 on port 995 is not going to be disabled though."

Just changed my POP3 to 995, on most of my computers, etc.

I just hope that you are correct.

Whilst I was supprised that they would drop support, the man I was talking to seemed to 'know' that POP3 would be dropped. Having said that he only said POP3 so perhaps he was misinformed?

Anyway, thank-you for your confidence and advice.

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 20 of 22

@egros wrote:

Whilst I was supprised that they would drop support, the man I was talking to seemed to 'know' that POP3 would be dropped. Having said that he only said POP3 so perhaps he was misinformed?

I think so, yes. He  must have meant POP3 without SSL will be dropped.

Oliver.
0 Ratings