cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mk11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

BtMailYahoo vs BtMail

Sometime ago Bt informed all their customers that they would all be “migrated” from BtYahoo Mail to Bt Mail.  Apparently they did this for some of their customers then abruptly stopped, leaving a substantial number of customers with BtYahoo Mail. Unfortunately BtYahoo Mail is an inferior product to the Bt Mail, as far as I am aware of in at least two ways. Firstly Bt Yahoo Mail has its auto forwarding disabled and it is simply not available anymore,  which is an odd situation as it is a standard function for every other email provider that I know off. Worse still is that people who had auto forwarding  in use are unable to stop the forwarding.  Secondly, Bt fends off inquiries and/or complaints about the BtYahoo Mail service by claiming that they have no control over Yahoo and cannot intervene in auto forwarding issues (this they did with myself, in writing, and still maintain that position). My queries here are:

1. Does anyone know why the “migration” stopped?

2. When will the rest of Bt’s customers on BtYahooMail be “migrated”?

3. Is it reasonable to ask for a reduction in the monthly Bt charge if one is stranded on a BtYahoo Mail address?

4. Is it reasonable, if I were to switch to another internet provider, to ask Bt to waive their £7.50 premium charge for my keeping my Bt email address?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: BtMailYahoo vs BtMail

@Mk11wrote:

Sometime ago Bt informed all their customers that they would all be “migrated” from BtYahoo Mail to Bt Mail.  Apparently they did this for some of their customers then abruptly stopped, leaving a substantial number of customers with BtYahoo Mail. Unfortunately BtYahoo Mail is an inferior product to the Bt Mail, as far as I am aware of in at least two ways. Firstly Bt Yahoo Mail has its auto forwarding disabled and it is simply not available anymore,  which is an odd situation as it is a standard function for every other email provider that I know off. Worse still is that people who had auto forwarding  in use are unable to stop the forwarding.  Secondly, Bt fends off inquiries and/or complaints about the BtYahoo Mail service by claiming that they have no control over Yahoo and cannot intervene in auto forwarding issues (this they did with myself, in writing, and still maintain that position). My queries here are:

1. Does anyone know why the “migration” stopped?

2. When will the rest of Bt’s customers on BtYahooMail be “migrated”?

3. Is it reasonable to ask for a reduction in the monthly Bt charge if one is stranded on a BtYahoo Mail address?

4. Is it reasonable, if I were to switch to another internet provider, to ask Bt to waive their £7.50 premium charge for my keeping my Bt email address?

1. Migrations are very complex and they struggled to get it right

2.  Its still an open position so they may be still be working to get this right or decide on a dual supplier strategy.

3. No, as they are still providing you a working email.

4.  No, they offer email as a perk for their broadband customers which they value more, hence they are charging you loads to make you buy their broadband again.

Regarding your auto-forward issue, they took the function away for new autoforwards which is within their right to do but however yoou should be able to turn your forwarding off if you had it previously setup. If you are unable to to do this, this is a fault and they should look to fix this.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

@Mk11 wrote:

1. Does anyone know why the “migration” stopped? There has been rumour and speculation on the forum as to the reason but there has been no official reason given by BT. 

2. When will the rest of Bt’s customers on BtYahooMail be “migrated”? They won't. The migration has been stopped.

3. Is it reasonable to ask for a reduction in the monthly Bt charge if one is stranded on a BtYahoo Mail address? No. Email is a free  "value added" service provided by BT to its broadband customers so there is no fee to reduce.

4. Is it reasonable, if I were to switch to another internet provider, to ask Bt to waive their £7.50 premium charge for my keeping my Bt email address? You can ask but it won't happen. If you want to retain a BT email address after you stop the broadband package that the email is a part of you will need to pay for it otherwise the email account will be closed. BT have no legal obligation to accept responsibility for a non BT customer's email account and contents.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

@New_To_UKwrote:

Regarding your auto-forward issue, they took the function away for new autoforwards which is within their right to do but however yoou should be able to turn your forwarding off if you had it previously setup. If you are unable to to do this, this is a fault and they should look to fix this.

Yahoo took away the feature for BTYahoo customers only it seems, their other partners - e.g. Sky - have this ability. The indication is that any forwarding set should have been simply removed by the system, with the feature not available at all - even to remove it.

The fault seems to be that some people who had forwarding set still have it. Whether that affects everyone who had it set is unknown.

0 Ratings
Mk11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

“free "value added" service” - if this is offered as part of the whole broadband package then I doubt if it can be called “free”. To me that sounds like a legal device to avoid liability for anything that goes wrong with it, questionable in contract law. Imagine taking out a rental on a car hire from a company that advertised “optional free gps” and a few hours down the road it stops working. Can’t imagine the car hire company getting away with the “it was free anyway” arguement.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

See the Terms and Conditions that you agreed to when you decided to use the "Value Added" services.

https://www.bt.com/terms/value-added-service.html#WiFi

and the Terms and Conditions for BTYahoo email that you agreed to when you started using it.

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/blank/a_id/43587

BT do not avoid their legal obligations and liability if things go wrong, they do fix faults and problems but as you have been told by BT and the Ombudsman, they can withdraw any service or part thereof which includes "forwarding" if they so decide.

I am not going to debate the legality or not of the "Value Added Services". They are there if you choose to use them, they are not compulsory.

If you decide to challenge if it is questionable in contract law it keep us posted how you get on. 

0 Ratings