Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ianphillips2347
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Btinternet.com Email Hacked and Details Changed

Hello all.

I am no longer supplied my internet by BT bu still use my btinternet.com email.

This morning I have a few texts off people stating that my email address had been sending out spam over the last few days.  When I tried to log into my email address it states the password is incoreect (must have been changed by the hacker) and when I try to verify my details to change my password / access my account these persoanl details are also incorrect.

I can seem to find the best place to get this resiolved - can anyone help please?

Thanks 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Btinternet.com Email Hacked and Details Changed

This forum is for BT Broadband customers only, you really need to contact Yahoo, as I assume that you must be paying for Yahoo Premium Mail to retain your e-mail address.

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12682/~/what%27s-the-difference-between-bt-yahoo!-pre...

0 Ratings
ianphillips2347
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

No I haven't been paying anyone.

When I fail to access my account it gives me a link for Bt.com do Im not sure
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

You could try contacting BT through the link but as you are no longer a customer and do not pay for the email account which would normally have been closed when you left BT, then I don't think they will do much to help you reset the password.

0 Ratings
pengipete
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Please read http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13140/~/what-happens-to-my-@btinternet-email-account-...

Ex-customer CAN now carry-on using their BTYahoo email account WITHOUT PAYING but subject to some restrictions on regular usage.  

If you are within those terms and there's no other reason why your email account should have suddenly become unavailble to you, contact BT because they are still the service provider and the fact that you are no longer a paying BT customer is irrelevent to the BTYahoo terms and conditions and BTYahoo are still responsible for the security of your email account.   You can use the "Contact Us" link at the top of the forum page.

Incidentally - according to the terms and conditions of this forum, it is NOT restricted to BT customers - you can check this at http://community.bt.com/t5/Announcements-Terms/BTCare-Community-Forums-Terms-of-Use/td-p/3

0 Ratings
atttim
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

Yes.....the Forum Terms Of Use, Para 6.2, does seem to confirm that you don't need to be a BT Customer......and does state a "potential customer" may access the content....

No mention that you have to be a BT Customer anywhere......If so, then I'm sure someone will let us know if this is wrong....

6.2 In order to ensure that the full benefits of the Site are realised by all users BT would encourage you to upload your content as you see fit. So that others (including potential customers) may access and benefit from your content, BT needs to ensure that it has your permission to make your content available. You therefore agree to give BT (as providers of the Site), a non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free, worldwide licence to use any content that you upload, post or otherwise make available on the Site.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

While you are correct about the email still being serviced by BT. I suspect a problem will arise that he does not have an account with BT and he will be unable to quote an account number to have the password reset. They willl try and ask the security questions but as the OP has stated they too have been changed by the hacker so this will send him into a loop about can't change password unless answer security questions, can't change security questions with out account details etc etc.

0 Ratings