cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lornebowler
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Btinternet.com email - hacked and locked out

Dear All My btinternet.com account is active but I am locked out of it. It seems my password has been changed and the secondary account has been out of use for some time now and has been deleted (so no use). People in my contacts are receiving dodgy messages from me that I am not sending, so I have a serious problem as I am unable to get into my btinternet.com account to change anything. I will be very grateful if someone could advise me what to do. Thank you
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Btinternet.com email - hacked and locked out

When you say your email account is active, when was the last time that you sent and received email from it?

If you have not used it in the last 90 days it will have been deleted for non use.

As regards your contacts receiving emails from it. Is the account a BTYahoo email account. If it is you may have been subject to the Yahoo hack which happened a few years ago. If it was hacked then, your contacts details would have been harvested by the hackers and they are now sending spam emails to them.

The spammers are not necessarily using your email account to do that. They would be spoofing your email address to make it look as though the emails come from you in order to give the impression that the emails are genuine.

Now that the spammers have your contact list they are free to send emails to them when ever they wish and there is nothing you can do to stop them other than to stop using that email address and  inform your contacts to be very wary of any emails from that address and they should treat them all as spam and delete them.

See link about spoofing.

https://lifehacker.com/how-spammers-spoof-your-email-address-and-how-to-prote-1579478914

0 Ratings
Lornebowler
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for your reply.

the account appears to still be active as it is probably still receiving email traffic. I may be being naive but I do not receive a message to say no longer in use.  Is there a way to tell for sure if an account has been deleted?

the account is a btinternet.com account.  It was possible to login through the Yahoo page at one point.

There is an inference that it is possible to reset the password through the BT.com website but I have not been able to get that to work.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

@Lornebowler wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

the account appears to still be active as it is probably still receiving email traffic. How do you know that? If the account has been deleted any person sending to that account does not necessarily receive a bounced email.  I may be being naive but I do not receive a message to say no longer in use.  They do not send out messages to say the account is deleted or about to be deleted. What would be the point. If the account is being deleted for non use who would read it. Is there a way to tell for sure if an account has been deleted?

the account is a btinternet.com account.  It was possible to login through the Yahoo page at one point. The Yahoo log in is not the way to log into the account. You would need to use the BT login page.

There is an inference that it is possible to reset the password through the BT.com website but I have not been able to get that to work.

I will ask the moderators if they can check to see if there is a problem or if the account has been deleted.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

@Lornebowler Thanks for posting and welcome to the BT.com community forums, I'm sorry to see you're email contacts are getting spam from your old address, we'll be able to check if its deleted or still active and chat to you about your options once we've figured out whats happening.

I've sent you a Private Message with details on how you can get in contact with the mod team.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings