cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Btinternet mail has stopped working on apple mail across all devices

My btinternet email stopped working on Apple mail for no apparent reason, bt say it is nothing to do with them - as webmail and Bt app work; Apple have done various tests - including setting up a new account/profile but it continue to state 'account and PW cannot be verified'.  It has now not worked for 2 weeks.  Any ideas?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Btinternet mail has stopped working on apple mail across all devices

Have you deleted the BT mail account from Apple Mail and tried to reinstall it?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Yes, and set up new profile to see if the issue was to do with existing settings. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Though not much help to you I can confirm that my various BT email addresses are still working with Apple Mail on Macs and iPads.

This has been subject to various discussions on here over the years and no one has come up with a definitive reason why or a simple resolution. The only way I have been able to overcome this is by deleting and reinstalling the BT details in the Apple Mail App. This has on occasions taken several attempts to get it to work. I can only suggest you keep trying.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

It is probably a BT server problem. The best advice when it happens is to do nothing, especially do not change passwords or delete the account from your device as that can cause more problems than it solves.

The first thing to do when it happens is check to see if you can log on to your email account via a web browser. If you can there is obviously nothing wrong with your password or account hence the advice to do nothing.

If the problem did not resolve its self after a day or two or in your instance where you have deleted the email account from your device you should stop your Apple device and any other devices from checking for email. The easiest way of doing that is to turn them off if you still have the account on your device or add a couple of characters to the email address so that it is not checking your account. If you have deleted the account and it is no longer on your device do not try and add it at this time.

Once you have done that, change your email password and check that you can access your email via webmail (on a browser).

If that works you should wait at least an hour to allow the servers to sync and then add the new password to your Apple device, remembering to remove any characters you may have added and again check it works. If it does then move onto the next device if you have one.

When entering the settings, make sure that in the Outgoing server you do not use the "use same as incoming" for the email address and password. Enter them manually.

If the above does not resolve the problem, when you change your BT password on an iPhone/iPad/Apple device it may only change for INCOMING mail.

To change the outgoing mail password you have to go into Settings; then scroll down to Passwords & Accounts or on older devices Mail, Contacts, Calendars. From there select the BT email account and select the account where it is listed under IMAP.

You will find the details for the account and can change the password for the Incoming server there, the outgoing mail server only shows SMTP and mail.btinternet.com You have to tap on that Primary Server in order to find where the Outgoing password is hidden so you can update it.

When setting up the email account on your device you are best to set it up manually, using "other" and ensure that you are using the correct settings as per this link.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Thanks very much, I will try!

0 Ratings