Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barry1947
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Btinternet not syncing

Go to solution

As from today 21/02 could not access email using Mail app since it could not sync with Btinternet.

During day have tried with different devices, different apps, DIFFERENT OS.

NOTHING will sync with Btinternet.

How come, as I've been told, nothing to do with BT, this is a Windows (!) problem.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Hal1953
Beginner
Message 2 of 15

Re: Btinternet not syncing

Go to solution

I have exactly the same problem. Using Outlook/Windows10. Just stopped syncing 2 days ago. Can receive but not send emails.

0 Ratings
Hal1953
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Same problem using different devices (PC/Phone) and different OS (Windows/IOS). The issue has to be with BT.

0 Ratings
barry1947
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Been playing around with this all morning but getting nowhere.

Tried deleting the account from the client apps, then adding it back anew. But they all just keep responding that the password's wrong. Can't be bothered arguing with BT, they'll just blame each individual app or OS.

Quick fix  - I've set my Btinternet to auto-forward all mail to a separate email address on Outlook, then got all my client apps to sync to that one. Been testing it during the course of the morning and so far working like a dream.

I can live with that for the time being.

Best of luck if you keep working on it. 

Hal1953
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks barry1947 for your suggestions. I don't think all the messing around I have done over the last 2 days had any real effect but the mail system has suddenly started working again....no demands for correct user names and passwords and I can now send and receive emails using my original email accounts. I suspect something has changed outside of anything I have done. Good luck. Hope your mail works properly too.

0 Ratings
shadders
Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @barry1947 

Did you receive the error code 80004005 ? when sending ?

The error code in relation to Windows is a share folders error code. My suspicion is that BT use Microsoft backend systems for mail, and the webmail is on one server, and the mail.btinternet.com server accesses a share which is the Webmail server.

For my issue, i suspect that a change has been implemented overnight which as not been tested thoroughly, and these issues are occurring.

Someone can correct me if i am wrong, but BT does not support SMTP as a service for e-mails even though it provides it, but will support webmail. Which is obviously of no use to the majority of people who use e-mail.

As has been said, BT will therefore blame the OS, or e-mail client, but not their own systems.

When the e-mail system fails, then you realise that they are critical to how we have to deal with all our services for bills etc.

Regards,

Shadders.

0 Ratings
barry1947
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Hello Shadders,

I think I get the gist of what you're saying, but I'm not tech savvy enough to really make any comment.

But regarding error codes, I don't actually see any codes displayed anywhere. The Mail app just tells me 'We can't access Btinternet. You might need to update password or give account permission to sync'. My phone's Email app tells me the password is wrong. Other client apps give various comments about not being able to access.

Baloney! The password is the same one I use to enter this site (seems OK since I'm here)

I don't see anything in the account settings about 'Permission to sync? Yes sir. Right sir!' 

Incoming mail just doesn't arrive, outgoing just sits in Outbox till the cows come home.

I've messaged BT to give them a reminder kick up the proverbial, meanwhile I'm happy with my forwarding workround.

Anyway, thanks so much for chipping in, pal.

Jockette61
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks - good suggestion for autoforward.  Weirdly enough, one of my btinternet email accounts is synching, but the other one (the original) isn't.  And if I log into BT email on BT website, the 2nd one is sending/receiving, it's only through the Mail app that the problem occurs.  Just as well I only use BT mails as back up now.  Cheers!

0 Ratings
Bobcat1
Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution
Can't send email from any of my three BT email addresses, be it on my Iphone, Ipad or via webmail.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Although it is recommended that you use the correct  BT settings on your email/app/client as per this link,

What are the settings for outgoing and incoming BT Email servers? | BT Help

some people have found the following settings worked for them.

IMAP settings

Incoming Mail Server: imap.btinternet.com

Port: 993 

SSL Encryption: Enabled SSL/TLS

Do not  use "secure password authentication" 

SMTP:

Outgoing Mail Server: mail.btinternet.com

Port: 465 

SSL Encryption: SSL/TLS

Authentication: PLAIN

0 Ratings