cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lyndonp
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Can I forward my own domain name email to different email accounts in BT email

I am currently with Plusnet and looking to move to FTTC and considering options with BT fibre. Looking at the BT email setup and reading the forum and help I am not sure it will be able to easily accept forwarded email from my own domain name without having to setup each email forward separately.

With Plusnet email i have my own domain set to forward all emails from my domain to my account with plusnet. So with the one setting below on my domain mail forwarding it automatically forwards what's is front of the @ (i.e. the person's name) to the same person's name in the plusnet email for my account in front of the @. Simple and nice and neat!

{All addresses}@mydomain.co.uk@myname.plus.com

e.g.

• x@mydomain.co.uk-> x@myname.plus.com
  • y@mydomain.co.uk -> y@myname.plus.com
  • z@mydomain.co.uk -> z@myname.plus.com

BT mail doesn't seem to be setup like this - it looks like I would  have to have the following email addresses setup something like this:-

x.myname@btinternet.com

x.myname@btinternet.com

y.myname@btinternet.com

Is this possible and then do I have to setup each foward separately from my domain which is a little messy?

Or would i be able to foward like this:-

{All addresses}@mydomain.co.ukmyname@btinternet.com

Would this do the same as the Plusnet setup?

Hope that make sense! Thanks.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
aoxm84
Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Can I forward my own domain name email to different email accounts in BT email

If you don't care that all the emails are placed in the same mailbox, just forward all your domain's email into yourname@btinternet.com

0 Ratings
lyndonp
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Re: Can I forward my own domain name email to different email accounts in BT email

I need to have them separated as they are on Plusnet as they are for different members of the family.

Does anybody know if and how this can be done with BT email setup?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Am I missing something here? If you want to keep them all separate, why forward them at all, why not just collect them from your domain servers?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 9

@lyndonp wrote:

I need to have them separated as they are on Plusnet as they are for different members of the family.

Does anybody know if and how this can be done with BT email setup?

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

I'm afraid BTMail isn't set up the same way. It used to be available a ong time ago when username.btinternet.co.uk was available, but that feature ceased many years ago.

I assume pop/imap is not available for your domain (e.g. needs more money for the service etc).

You would have to set up individual sub addresses, and then set forwarding to those sub addresses.

0 Ratings
lyndonp
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

re liquoirce - It is only a domain name which needs to be forwarded to somewhere to collect the mail e.g. Plusnet mail servers or BT but I wish to have it separated as it is now with Plusnet for each family member

(p.s. how do you do a quote of a previous post on this forum ??)

0 Ratings
aoxm84
Expert
Message 7 of 9

Then as said, create mailboxes and forward each email address into each mailbox. Either use BT Mail mailboxes, or Gmail mailboxes or whatever you like.

0 Ratings
lyndonp
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

re - Andy_N thanks, yes, you have understood the issue. And yes, I would have to pay, whereas at the moment about £10 for 2 years for the domain name itself and free for everything else.

Seems like if I go the BT way I have to setup a forward for each individual family member. I don't have thousand of family members so it is possible to setup just not as neat.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

@lyndonp wrote:

re liquoirce - It is only a domain name which needs to be forwarded to somewhere to collect the mail e.g. Plusnet mail servers or BT but I wish to have it separated as it is now with Plusnet for each family member

(p.s. how do you do a quote of a previous post on this forum ??)

Click on the reply button associated with the post you wish to quote and click the 'quote' button at the top right corner.

I would have though that for the few quid extra it would make life a lot easier to have a domain mail facility rather than keep faffing about every time you change ISP.