cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MCB
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Can I swap my primary email address with a sub address?

Go to solution

In the last 12 months (since I changed from Yahoo Mail to BT Mail) I have been getting more and more spam, and I'm now getting about 50 spam emails per day. I've managed to find a filtering rule which means that most of it ends up in the spam folder on webmail and not my inbox, but it's still very annoying as I have to check the spam folder every day to ensure that no genuine emails have ended up in there by mistake. All of this is leading me to think I probably need to change my main email address, but that is not something I want to do until I'm absolutely sure how it will work.

My preferred action would be to set up a sub account and then get BT to swap the sub account and primary email addresses over, but leave what was the primary email active while I go through the laborious process of informing all my contacts of my new primary address and changing my details on the websites I am registered with. When I have completed this task I will then delete what was the original primary email address and there will be no way for the spam to get through. Will this work and is the swap of primary and sub account adresses (keeping both working) possible?

If not I guess I will have to set up a sub account, inform my contacts and change the web site logins to the new sub account address then get BT to swap over the primary and sub account addresses and delete the original promary address at the same time.

Any help would be appreciated!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can I swap my primary email address with a sub address?

Go to solution

You can have a sub-account made into a primary account but do you really need to do that.

Why not just set up a sub-account email address and notify all your contacts, banks etc and then simply stop using your primary account as an email address. It will still receive emails including spam but you do not need to do anything with it. It will just sit in the back ground. You can log on now and again to check that none of your contacts are still using it and to keep the account active.

All you will then need to use the primary email address for is as the log on username if you use BTWifi or any other BT services such as BT Sport and BT Cloud.

MCB
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thank you for your reply. I thought BT WiFi, BT Sport and BT Cloud used my BT ID, and not my primary email address. Is that the case? At the moment my BT ID and my primary email address are the same, but if Sport, Cloud, etc work off the BT ID, I can change my BT ID to a sub account address (I think your BT ID just has to be an active email address) and then I wouldn't even have to use my primary email address to use these services. Does anyone know if that would work?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

It would appear that BT want your BTID and your email address to be one and the same. This is apparently to allow you to have only one username (your BTID) to access all the BT services and your MyBT which once logged onto that you can access your email. Obviously if your BTID was not your email address you would not be able to access the email that way.

BTWifi etc is meant to work using your BTID, which as you have said needs to be an email address, however if your BTID is not your primary BT email address some users have found it does not work on BTWifi.

You can of course get a sub-account changed to be your primary email address if you would prefer it that way.

0 Ratings
MCB
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

I have set up a new email address and am now using this as my BTID. I have swapped BT Cloud, BT Wifi and BT Sport over to this new BTID and everything seems to be working fine. The only issue I have is that when I log into myBT and go to check the status of my WiFi it does not recognise the new email address (which is the same as my new BTID) or the old email address (which was my previous BTID). I contacted BT and they said I may need to wiat until the servers update, but it has been over a week now. Any ideas?

On a positive note, having changed over my BTID to my new email address it seems that I can just delete my old email address as soon as I am ready (it is now getting approx 100 spam emails per day on the old address!!!)

0 Ratings
MCB
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Sorry, I forgot to add, maybe I still need to ask BT to make the new email address I set up my primary email address? Is that the case and shoud I do that before I delete my original email address? I am using the new email as my primary BTID. Any help welcome.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

I think that there is a problem with BTWifi as regards what user name it accepts. If you are an "old" BT customer and had a primary email address it requires that you use that as your username.

If you are a "new" BT customer it requires your BTID which may or may not be a BT email address.

With all that in mind it may be that you will need BT to change your "new" primary email address to liste as your primary email address and not just as your BTID. (Hope that makes sense)

I would not delete anything until such times as you are happy everything is working as it should.

In view of this possibly becomiming a problem I have notified the moderators of the forum. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to five working days for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Hi MCB,

I'll be able to take a look at this for you. Please send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings