cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Can't access Mail account on replacement Mac

Just got a newer Mac. Migrated most things OK from my old one but Mail says it cannot connect to my account and wants a password. I have tried all of the passwords I can remember and nothing works. I can access BT webmail and my emails on my iphone, but the Mac says NO.

The advise from Apple suggests contacting the service provider (BT) but I seem to be going round in circles.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Can't access Mail account on replacement Mac

If you can access mail on every other device, the problem is clearly with your Mac.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Can't access Mail account on replacement Mac

@man001 wrote:

Just got a newer Mac. Migrated most things OK from my old one but Mail says it cannot connect to my account and wants a password. I have tried all of the passwords I can remember and nothing works. I can access BT webmail and my emails on my iphone, but the Mac says NO.

The advise from Apple suggests contacting the service provider (BT) but I seem to be going round in circles.

Did you migrate everything manually or did you use a program to do it for you?

Have you tried setting up the email account on your Mac manually inserting all the settings, username and passwords rather than using the email wizard.

The correct settings to use are here.

BT Email server settings | BT Help

If you are still not sure which is the "correct" password, rather than "I have tried all of the password I can remember"  you could try checking your browser's settings to see if it has saved that password that you have used to log onto webmail. 

If you are still not sure which is the "correct" password, use Webmail and click on the "Forgotten your logon details" on the logon page and change the password then set up your email account manually, and remember to change the password to the new one on your other devices.