cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
kathryn_t
Message 1 of 9

Can't access my btinternet.com account

Hi,  I have seen other problems like this on the forum so I think I know what needs to happen. I have a *****@btinternet.com address which has been set up for years. In my case it is a back up account. Last year I changed my primary email account, and at the same time I changed my BT id.  I have noticed that I can no longer access my *****@btinternet.com address, and when I try to use the 'lost password' feature I either end up on the BT id login, which is no good as it is not linked to the btinternet.com email, or it says my email is not recognised. I think this happened a few months ago - as it's a backup account I don't use it regularly, but I would like to keep it if at all possible.  Could I please get my btinternet.com email account linked to my BT id please. Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Can't access my btinternet.com account

Hi, welcome to the forums.

If you've not accessed the account for 90 days, then it's gone into a stage for re-activation for 60 days. If it's not associated with an ID, then it's not possible for you to re-activate it. The account may well have been deleted.

Depending on timing, it might be possible to have the account associated with your new primary, but this will need moderator intervention - who will offer you the chance to contact them after they've read the post.

As a check, what happens when you try :-

https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform

or the reset password link :-

https://register.btinternet.com/cgi-bin/chpasswdsso

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

If your email account is/was a BTYahoo email account you could try this link to see if you can change the password. If it is a sub account you are asked the security questions it relates to the answers for the primary email account.

https://register.btinternet.com/cgi-bin/chpasswdsso

It may be however that if you have not used the email account in a 90 day period it will have been suspended prior to deletion. If it has been suspended you have 60 days to recover it. If the 60 day period has passed the account has been deleted and can not be recovered.

See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44499/~/why-has-my-bt-email-address-been-suspended-or...

0 Ratings
kathryn_t
Message 4 of 9

Firstly, thank you for the help, I tried the links. 

I was allowed in to change the password, but after changing the password, it now says the email address no longer exists. However if I try to create a new email address from my BT pages with the same address it says it already exists. Does this mean my email address has been reallocated? Would it be possible for someone to check if the address has been reallocated, because if it's possible, I'd like to get it back even without the data as I've used it as a contact on other applications.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

BT do not re-allocate email addresses. It only reports that it already exists so that so you know it is/was being used.

If it is saying it no longer exists it would appear to have been permanently deleted.

0 Ratings
kathryn_t
Message 6 of 9

If it is at all possible to reinstate the email address (albeit without the now deleted history), then that would save me a lot of time trawling through all the settings where I have used it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

If it has been deleted as far as I am aware it will not be possible to reinstate it however just to make sure I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem.

Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. They are very busy at present so once you have replied to them by the link, it can take 48 hours for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
kathryn_t
Message 8 of 9

thank you, I'll look out for a reply

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

@kathryn_t I'm afraid @gg30340 is correct if your email has been permanently deleted due to inactivity we're unable to reactivate this for you. 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings