cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Can't add my email account to Windows 10 email client

Go to solution

I normally have my main and secondary email accounts linked in the Windows 10 email app but on occasion, the main email address gives me issues where it says details need updating.

I normally fix this by re-adding my password, deleting and then re-adding my account or just having to wait a few days where it seems to fix itself. 

But none of those worked this time and now when I go to add my BT email to Windows, I just get the generic 0x80004005 error saying that it isn't possible to do what I'm attempting to do. Is this a Windows issue or (quite possibly) yet another BT email problem as it's the only email address that ever gives me problems in the Windows client. Thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Can't add my email account to Windows 10 email client

Go to solution

Easy to verify where the problem lies. Install Thunderbird (free) and see if the account works ok on that or not.

Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

Easy to verify where the problem lies. Install Thunderbird (free) and see if the account works ok on that or not.

Seconded here! Thunderbird is the dog's eggs! Installed about 6 months ago following a recommendation on the forum by yourself (@licquorice

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Mentioning Thunderbird reminded me that I have Office 365 (I rarely use Outlook within it) but same issue with that, won't let me add my BT email. I'll try Thunderbird later when I have some free time. Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Still stuck here with this issue. No matter what email client I try I can't get my BT Email to respond as it keeps telling me either the email or password is wrong, or my "details are out of date"

I know the password is correct because it is saved on the BT website and you can "show" the password.

My secondary email address continues to work just fine 😕

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Ok, seems like the problem lies with BT.

One thing you can try before we get the mods involved. Stop any clients from attempting to access the server, change your password in webmail and then wait at least an hour to give the servers chance to sync passwords and then try a mail client again.

Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Ok, so tried changing the password as suggested by @licquorice but still no joy. To to it all my secondary email has now stopped working as well, giving me the same issues, email/password wrong or settings are out of date 😕 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

I'll flag the problem to the mods.

Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

@Retrovertigo I'll send you a private message in a moment so you can send over your details and we'll be happy to check if there are any issues on our side.

Thanks

Neil

Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Annddd, I try it this morning and it's all working again 🤔

0 Ratings