Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NAD9956
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Can't get emails in Outlook

Go to solution

I usually access my emails on my PC using Outlook (2016 version - Office 365).   My PC is running Windows 10.

Since Monday,  I open Outlook but it won't connect to the BT Server so I can't get my emails as usual.  I assumed it was Microsoft Office since I've had issues with Office 365 before but my wife who has an account on the same PC  has no issues with Outlook so it's not the programme itself.  I eventually managed to delete my email account and tried setting it up again.  All I keep getting is a box pop up requesting my server password and it won't go any further.

I downloaded a different  email programme but it will not set up - it seems the password doesn't match the one on the server.   I have no problems logging on to my BT email account using webmail - no issues whatsoever so the password is definitely not incorrect.

Anybody have any ideas?  It was working perfectly ok on Sunday and I'm tearing my hair out. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Can't get emails in Outlook

Go to solution

@NAD9956wrote:

I usually access my emails on my PC using Outlook (2016 version - Office 365).   My PC is running Windows 10.

Since Monday,  I open Outlook but it won't connect to the BT Server so I can't get my emails as usual.  I assumed it was Microsoft Office since I've had issues with Office 365 before but my wife who has an account on the same PC  has no issues with Outlook so it's not the programme itself.  I eventually managed to delete my email account and tried setting it up again.  All I keep getting is a box pop up requesting my server password and it won't go any further.

I downloaded a different  email programme but it will not set up - it seems the password doesn't match the one on the server.   I have no problems logging on to my BT email account using webmail - no issues whatsoever so the password is definitely not incorrect.

Anybody have any ideas?  It was working perfectly ok on Sunday and I'm tearing my hair out. 

Hi. This is a very common issue.

Are you with BTMail or BTYahoo? Webmail will show a Yahoo image top left for BTYahoo.

Can you say what server you are using for Outlook?

Make sure you're using the correct details :-

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917

If so, and you are with BTYahoo - the forum recommendation is to do nothing, no password changes, no settings changes or app/account deletion etc. This can actually cause you more problems.

However as you've found out, it has for the client setup.

As this has been a few days now, the thing to do is this. Stop all devices from auto-checking emails. Change the password, and wait at least 20 minutes before trying to add (or setup) the account in one device only. If it doesn't add, wait for an hour to try again.

0 Ratings
NAD9956
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. It’s BT Yahoo rather than BT Mail.  I only use 1 device which is my PC and all I’ve done is delete the email account from Outlook not the programme. I’ll change the password & try set up again as you suggested.  Not sure which server - how do I find out.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@NAD9956wrote:

Thanks for the reply. It’s BT Yahoo rather than BT Mail.  I only use 1 device which is my PC and all I’ve done is delete the email account from Outlook not the programme. I’ll change the password & try set up again as you suggested.  Not sure which server - how do I find out.

BTYahoo is pretty much the only one of the two that has this problem.

The server is mail.btinternet.com, and is the only one that should be used.

0 Ratings
NAD9956
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks, I see what you mean now.  That's the server I'm using.  I'm going to change the password but will leave it until Saturday or Sunday now.  I'll post the result - fingers crossed!

0 Ratings
NAD9956
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Logged on to my BT email and selected the password change option.  Did that, it whirred around for a moment then said sorry, can't change your password, try again later.  Not deterred, I tried again a few moments later and it told me it didn't recognise my password (this would be the password for the mail.btinternet server.  I gave up, but found that it wouldn't accept my password for my BT account  - this is and has always been different and I use this to log onto my BT account to view bills, package etc.  To view Email though, I  need to click on to the email link and enter the mail.btinternet server password (i.e. the one stored in my Outlook programme).  

Without thinking I must have entered my BT account password "incorrectly" too many times and I was locked out.  Could still access BT Webmail though (using the usual password for the mail.btinternet server).

After 15 minutes I successfully logged on to my BT account using the "original" account password.

So, it looks as though I can't change the mail server password - I'm reluctant to try again,  and this means I can't ever use any email programme.  Catch 22 - what's the answer BT?  I simply want to access my email via my PC using Outlook.  I NEVER touched the mail server password and if changing it is the solution how do I do this?

I'm more than angry since this is not a problem of my making. 

0 Ratings
NAD9956
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

I'm not sure what made me do this but I tried Outlook set up again using my original mail server password and guess what - the account loaded no bother and I'm back to normal now.  Whilst I'm happy about this I would really like to know why this happened but I don't suppose I will.

Thanks to Andy_N for your solution.  This worked  - you advised me not to do anything although by that point I'd deleted the account from my PC.  Had I simply left things for a day or so and not attempted access or setup, then I think all would have been ok.  (The password change wouldn't work though but no matter).  Consequently, I've marked this as solved.  Thanks again.

0 Ratings