Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 21 of 27

Re: Can't log In to Thunderbird E Mail

Go to solution

@Johnoowrote:

Just logged into T Bird again & it works.

But why the problem?

Who is responsible?

How can BT improve, if it's their fault?

Good news you can access the account again, which does show the advice to do nothing is correct.

There is something that might have a bearing - but may not at all! This is not tricky to check, but is after the event. Are you aware if your connection dropped and reconnected? In other words, a new IP address. It's only a small thought, in that a router power cycle might help to "fix" the issue for the short term. Doing that might also show the account is the absolute issue if an IP address change doesn't help.

I have repeated asked for BT to trace a user connection/email address path when a user reports this similar issue - but it has fallen on deaf ears. It does seem to me like BT don't want to do anything.

This problem is reported so frequently in these very forums, and has been for years, you only have to wonder how many people are actually reporting it the the helpdesk and getting bad and wrong advice.

BT won't improve unless someone takes ownership of this problem, but they continue to deny it. bt_uk twitter feed is appallingly bad in this and continue to spout that nothing is wrong.

(Note it's not a Thunderbird issue in particular, it's an app/client access failure).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 22 of 27

Go to solution

@Andy_Nwrote:

@Johnoowrote:

But why the problem?

Who is responsible?

How can BT improve, if it's their fault?

Good news you can access the account again, which does show the advice to do nothing is correct.

There is something that might have a bearing - but may not at all! This is not tricky to check, but is after the event. Are you aware if your connection dropped and reconnected? In other words, a new IP address. It's only a small thought, in that a router power cycle might help to "fix" the issue for the short term. Doing that might also show the account is the absolute issue if an IP address change doesn't help.

I have repeated asked for BT to trace a user connection/email address path when a user reports this similar issue - but it has fallen on deaf ears. It does seem to me like BT don't want to do anything.

This problem is reported so frequently in these very forums, and has been for years, you only have to wonder how many people are actually reporting it the the helpdesk and getting bad and wrong advice.

BT won't improve unless someone takes ownership of this problem, but they continue to deny it. bt_uk twitter feed is appallingly bad in this and continue to spout that nothing is wrong.

(Note it's not a Thunderbird issue in particular, it's an app/client access failure).

Andy,

Are you asking if my Router disconnected during the downtime?

If you are, the answer is no, I have just checked the Router stats. & the last drop out was 4 days 18 hours ago.

If you so desire ask BT to check my connection/e mail pathway.

Also just to say thanks for all of the help during the day from all on the Community

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 27

Go to solution

@Johnoo wrote:

Don't want to say I told you doing nothing except waiting was the best advice but ....

Good to hear you have access again... until the next time!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 24 of 27

Go to solution

@gg30340wrote:

@Johnoowrote:

Don't want to say I told you doing nothing except waiting was the best advice but ....

Good to hear you have access again... until the next time!

Thanks, I'm a very sensitive person who always thinks that I've upset the system & then I worry/worry/worry.

I just like the approach of you experts who in some way relax people such as I.

But I do wish BT staff would grasp the nettle & at least admit there is a problem. If they did so perhaps customers would work with them rather than whinge.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 27

Go to solution

OK - my Thunderbird is also working this morning - after doing nothing but waiting ...

Just a point here  for someone who might know more ...  Is this a timing problem ?

When one logs in using webmail, the password is submitted using Javascript (I believe)

at one speed.

However, when one uses Thunderbird the password is submitted by a different method

- presumably by Thunderbird itself, or perhaps in my case a WINDOWS subroutine,

at probably a different speed.

So might Thunderbird's speed to too slow, or too quick, for consistent handshaking ?

Just a thought ...

Ian

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 27

Go to solution

As far as I'm aware, webmail and client logins will use different servers.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 27

Go to solution
0 Ratings