cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

Can't log in to old email, even though it says it's still active.

I am not the BT Id account holder but I have a secondary email address. I have checked via the Id account holder's account and it says the email address is still active. It has been a few years since I last accessed it so I don't know whether that is why I can't log in. 

I can log on to my BT account with the email address but I can't access my emails, when I try to access the email by logging in I get the message: 

'Sorry

We were unable to log you in to your email.

Please check you are using your correct email password.

If you still see this message, please try again later.'

I have tried resetting the password and although it allows me to, I still get this error message after trying to log in with the new password.
I would really like to access the address so I can reset a password for a website account I created a few years ago. Is it possible to ever use it again? I don't need to access or view old emails...

Thank you for any help. 

edit - the email is under the category: 'Email addresses you've given to friends and family' and not 'Active email addresses' but next to it, it says 'active'. 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Can't log in to old email, even though it says it's still active.

If the email address has not been accessed within a 90day period it will have been deleted. It will show as active because that email address(name) can not be reused.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 5

😞Thought so but was hoping otherwise, thank you for the reply. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 5

It's annoying because I didn't know about the 90 day inactivity rule and now I can't access my accounts on other websites which require a link sent to my bt email. 

I can understand deleting the contents of the inbox and deactivating the email but making the email address unusable so you can't reactivate it with a new inbox seems very unfair. I'm not happy about it... 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44499/~/why-has-my-bt-email-address-been-suspended-or...

BT do not re use email addresses for security reasons. This applies even if you were the previous owner.

0 Ratings