I am totally frustrated. Until last Friday evening all of my email addresses were working fine but, now, I cannot connect with my btinternet.com mail address on Outlook 2007 or on my Samsung tablet or mobile apps. My wife's btinternet.com is still working fine on Outlook 2007 (same computer, same program) and on her Samsung tablet.
I've tried contacting BT help but they were useless. Advised me to deleted the account and start again and, if that didn't work, contact Microsoft (who have nothing to do with either tablet or mobile).
In desperation I tried changing my password, but that didn't work either. So the only way I can currently read my BT mail is by signing in to BT on Firefox.
Incidentally, all my gmail addresses still work fine on Outlook and my mobile apps.
Solved! Go to Solution.
There have been problems with the BT IMAP/POP servers stopping email clients from accessing the users email account for years. The advice from forum users is to do nothing such as changing passwords or deleting and resetting up accounts as this invariably causes more problems than it solves.
Because your devices stopped accessing your email at the same time and you were still able to access your email via webmail it is obviously not a problem with your email account or with your password, hence the advice not to do anything. The problem usually resolves its self in a day or two.
Because you have deleted and reset up your email on your devices and changed your password I would suggest that you do the following:
Switch off all your devices or at the least stop them from polling your email account for new email. You can do this by either deleting the email account from the device or just change the email address in your email account settings.
Change your webmail email password yet again.
Wait at least 30 minutes before starting one of your devices and set up the email account with the new password.
Check that this device is working before moving onto the next device.
Ensure that you are using the correct settings via this link and set the email accounts up manually rather than using the email wizard.
Many thanks indeed, O Sage One. I opened my tablet this morning and all is working properly again.
At least I now know what not to do next time! Thank you again.