Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tania1
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Can't receive emails after changing password

Go to solution

I changed my password a couple of days ago after being hacked. An email asking for money was sent to all my contacts! Since changing my password I have been umable to receive emails. It appears that I can send emails. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Can't receive emails after changing password

Go to solution

You were probably not hacked recently. It is more likely that your email account was part of the mass hacking that happened to Yahoo a few years back and at that time your contacts email addresses would have been harvested by the hackers and they are now sending out spam/phishing emails to your contacts.

To try and make it look like a genuine email they will be spoofing your email address to make it look like the email came from you. See link about spoofing.

https://lifehacker.com/how-spammers-spoof-your-email-address-and-how-to-prote-1579478914

Changing your password will not stop this happening again because the emails are not coming from your email account and the spammers already have your contacts email addresses. If you get your contacts to check the headers on the email they received they will be able to see where the email actually originated from.

As regards your not receiving emails after changing your password, on what device are you using to send/receive emails and where did you change your password, was it on the BT site or just on your device.

Can you send and receive email via web mail using a web browser using this link

BT Email

0 Ratings
tania1
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution
Thanks for that Distinguished Sage. I changed my password on my android phone by going onto the bt website and doing from there.
0 Ratings
tania1
Beginner
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution
No, i can't receive emails through this link but i can send them
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Which email app are you using and  did you changed your password on the email app.

Can you go into your email account via the link I posted and go into the settings and click on "accounts"  then in the new box that opens"BT Mail account" and click edit. Check what the reply to address is. If it is not your email address take a note of it then delete it and add your own email address.

0 Ratings
tania1
Beginner
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

No, still doesn't work when I log in using the link you posted. I use the email app on my phone and yes i changed the password on this.

0 Ratings
tania1
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

Yes, its my address in box. I have to go out now but please carry on with suggestions. I will respond this afternoon. Thank you so much.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

Can you confirm which email system you are on. Is it BTMail or BTYahoo?

If you are not sure log onto the email account via a web browser and if you look at the BT logo if you see Yahoo it means you are on the BTYahoo system.

0 Ratings
tania1
Beginner
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

It is BTMail

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

If the problem about receiving emails happens when you use webmail via a browser I suspect there is nothing that any of the forum members will be able to do to help.

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. They are very busy at present so once you have replied to them by the link, it can take 48 hours for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings