Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Robbo1964
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Can't send email from any email client

Dear Forum,

I am a relative newbe to the forum and I am wondering if anyone can help me with a perpetual issue I am receiveing with BT where the Customer Support process has been woefully poor.

The problem arises that I cannot send emails from my btinternet email account from any of the following clients:

• Windows 7, 10 or 13
  • Android - Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 using the android email APP
  • iPhone or iPAD using the Apple email APP 

I can send email from webmail fine but this system is not usable when I want to be mobile.

For information on the clients listed above (no matter which one) the email does appear in my sent box it is just not leaving the BT server cloud to arrive to an external email address.

The problem started in April of this year. Having contacted BT Customer Support on more than one occassion I eventually spoke with a very patient technician from BT Level 2 Support (SHIV what a star).

Having done all of the usual support things starting with deleteting all email acccounts on all of my devices and resetting them up all up again he was vexed that a) all of my accounts were set up correctly in the fist place and b) deleting them and resetting them up did not fix the problem.

After 4 hours of resetting up, testing and retesting sending to my work email account or my partners gmail account he concluded the problem was BT's end with some server settings (a security patch) implemented recently (in April) which he reset and hey presto it all stared working and from all of my devices.

SHIV described the problem they have been having with this security setting and he provided me an email address dcrex@bt.com advising me that if the problem persisted again I should email this address and they can read my notes and perform the same reset.

Well the problem has arisen 5 or 6 times and each time a quick email has solved the problem up until recently.

A couple of weeks ago the problem appeared again (a month since the last episode) and I emailed the bt.com address provided by SHIV only for the email to bounce back advising that the email address is no longer supported.

Attempting to get through BT again via standard support sent me back to the start of again having to delete everything and reseting it all back up with the correct settings only to find it still does not work and then customer support advising me "well we do not support anything other than webmail so we can't help you - sorry"!

Given that supporting email cleint setting is all over the BT website I have been disgusted with the inconsistent and poorly serviced response from BT Customer Serivice and therefore I am hoping someone on this forum may have found another way of resolving the problem - perhaps using an alternative stmp service as clearly the BT one is unreliable.

Please help if you can with any advice.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Can't send email from any email client

@Robbo1964 wrote:

Dear Forum,

I am a relative newbe to the forum and I am wondering if anyone can help me with a perpetual issue I am receiveing with BT where the Customer Support process has been woefully poor.

The problem arises that I cannot send emails from my btinternet email account from any of the following clients:

• Windows 7, 10 or 13
  • Android - Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 using the android email APP
  • iPhone or iPAD using the Apple email APP 

I can send email from webmail fine but this system is not usable when I want to be mobile.

For information on the clients listed above (no matter which one) the email does appear in my sent box it is just not leaving the BT server cloud to arrive to an external email address.

The problem started in April of this year. Having contacted BT Customer Support on more than one occassion I eventually spoke with a very patient technician from BT Level 2 Support (SHIV what a star).

Having done all of the usual support things starting with deleteting all email acccounts on all of my devices and resetting them up all up again he was vexed that a) all of my accounts were set up correctly in the fist place and b) deleting them and resetting them up did not fix the problem.

After 4 hours of resetting up, testing and retesting sending to my work email account or my partners gmail account he concluded the problem was BT's end with some server settings (a security patch) implemented recently (in April) which he reset and hey presto it all stared working and from all of my devices.

SHIV described the problem they have been having with this security setting and he provided me an email address dcrex@bt.com advising me that if the problem persisted again I should email this address and they can read my notes and perform the same reset.

Well the problem has arisen 5 or 6 times and each time a quick email has solved the problem up until recently.

A couple of weeks ago the problem appeared again (a month since the last episode) and I emailed the bt.com address provided by SHIV only for the email to bounce back advising that the email address is no longer supported.

Attempting to get through BT again via standard support sent me back to the start of again having to delete everything and reseting it all back up with the correct settings only to find it still does not work and then customer support advising me "well we do not support anything other than webmail so we can't help you - sorry"!

Given that supporting email cleint setting is all over the BT website I have been disgusted with the inconsistent and poorly serviced response from BT Customer Serivice and therefore I am hoping someone on this forum may have found another way of resolving the problem - perhaps using an alternative stmp service as clearly the BT one is unreliable.

Please help if you can with any advice.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear of the problems. Can you say what mail clients you are using with Windows ?

Also, on the other devices, can you say what sort of settings you are using - e.g. IMAP, or POP. Also what smtp settings are you using (e.g. mail server name and port number).

@In the username setting, are you using the full email address or just the bit before the @ ? This last item can sometimes work with one way, and not the other for some people.

The details you mentioned about a server issue sound fishy, because if that was the case - it would be affecting 100s of 1000s of people. It can of course be a single account issue (or maybe a few), unfortunately perhaps in your case.

I assume you were sending an email to the bt.com email address via webmail.

Is it every single email that you send is failing to arrive at the destination ?

0 Ratings
Robbo1964
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the reply.

To answer your questions:

The problem is with 3 email clients I have set up and tested Outlook 2010, 2013 and Outlook (purchased around 2007 on my old laptop)

Device's all set up as IMAP when using the auto set up but same problem exists when set up manually as POP (This was tried by SHIV)

In the user name I am using the full user name including the @btinternet.com.

The out going server is mail.btinternet.com the port is 465 (SHIV tried 2 other ports both with no success)

Yes is is all emails to 3rd party email addesses. The only emails that I can send to those outside BT.com are those sent from webmail.

Server issue may sound fishy but this was the problem identified by BT second line support not me. I am only passing what I am advised.

Also looking all over the internet for a solution there are plenty of people that appear to have the same problem.

Any other ideas?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

@Robbo1964 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

To answer your questions:

The problem is with 3 email clients I have set up and tested Outlook 2010, 2013 and Outlook (purchased around 2007 on my old laptop)

Device's all set up as IMAP when using the auto set up but same problem exists when set up manually as POP (This was tried by SHIV)

@In the user name I am using the full user name including the @btinternet.com.

The out going server is mail.btinternet.com the port is 465 (SHIV tried 2 other ports both with no success)

Yes is is all emails to 3rd party email addesses. The only emails that I can send to those outside BT.com are those sent from webmail.

Server issue may sound fishy but this was the problem identified by BT second line support not me. I am only passing what I am advised.

Also looking all over the internet for a solution there are plenty of people that appear to have the same problem.

Any other ideas?

Hi again. Thanks for the info.

As you seem to be getting no error messages, and the emails appear in the sent box - it's actually difficult to ascertain whether the emails are actually leaving your "connection".

@I've seen some users say that rebooting their router helps. Also changing the username to just the stub, i.e. the bit before the @ can work for some.

I personally use Thunderbird and Outlook (as well as K9 for android), but never let anything auto set up.

Do you know if you're on BTYahoo or BTMail ? The following link will tell you :-

http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=EmailChecker

Send me a private message, and I'll give you a couple of email addresses to send to 🙂

0 Ratings
Robbo1964
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Again thanks for the reply

My reply is a little late due to being away on leave

The emails are appearing in the sent box in webmail not just on my clients.

I was BT Yahoo but the problem occured when BT migrated to their new mail service.

You are right to think that that problem has something to do with the Login either having the @btinternet.com or not as this was the avenue of investigation that SHIV when down when he reset something to get it working.

Given the lack of progress with BT are their any settings which will allow my smtp to use a differnt outbound mail service rather than BT who have no interest in resolving my problem?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

@Robbo1964 wrote:

Again thanks for the reply

My reply is a little late due to being away on leave

The emails are appearing in the sent box in webmail not just on my clients.

I was BT Yahoo but the problem occured when BT migrated to their new mail service.

@You are right to think that that problem has something to do with the Login either having the @btinternet.com or not as this was the avenue of investigation that SHIV when down when he reset something to get it working.

Given the lack of progress with BT are their any settings which will allow my smtp to use a differnt outbound mail service rather than BT who have no interest in resolving my problem?

Hi again.

BTinternet uses the BTmail service via Openwave, but not everyone's mailboxes have been migrated as this was suspended over a year ago.

If your actual mailbox is still in BTYahoo, you can try the method outlined via my shortcuts, option 0d - item h (link below). That won't work if you're actually in BTMail (at least I don't think it will - someone willing to try ?).

0 Ratings
Robbo1964
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Dear all

I have changed nothing donoe and just back from a wekks hols yet today email from 3rd party clients is working.

Some one must have done a reset somewhere!

Dont worry though it will be back broken again soon.

Thanks to all who have commented so far and this issue is not resolved just gone away for now.

0 Ratings