cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GillyA
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Can’t send email

I came overseas a couple of months ago and since then have had intermittent problems sending email.  Sometimes turning the router off and on has fixed it.  I’ve also deleted and reinstalled the account a couple of times which has worked.  But for the last week or so I simply can’t send email from either my iPad or Samsung galaxy phone.  The message is that the email address is rejected by the server.

Everything else is working fine, I’m receiving email and can browse and my work stuff is all fine.  I can also send if I enter the account through webmail.  It also worked on the same router with no issues when I was here previously.

its so frustrating I’m paying to maintain this address.  Any ideas what else to try?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
DavidM
Message 2 of 7

Re: Can’t send email

Hi @GillyA and thanks for posting.

Sorry you're having problems with your email. Is this problem with one email address or do you get error message from more than one email address?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
GillyA
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Only have the one personal address.  Could try creating a new one, but I’m not great at this sort of thing (certainly don’t want to pay BT for an unused address....)

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for confirming that @GillyA.

Have you tried reporting this to postmaster? Take a look at best practices for postmasters.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Can you confirm that you are in the UK when this is happening, it is not entirely clear in your post and that you are paying for a BT Premium email account.

Have you checked that you are using the correct BT servers as per this link.

What are the settings for outgoing and incoming BT Email servers? | BT Help

Do you have a MyBT account which you can access in order to check that your email account has not been downgraded to a Basic email account. The BT Basic email account will nly work via webmail and not with email clients/apps.

To check you log onto your MyBT and go to "Your Products" > "Mail, manage".

The status should be active and the account type should show as "Premium".

0 Ratings
MikeC1777
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

I have had this problem for months with BT premium email. I have spent hours with both BT and Microsoft tech support. In the end BT just gave up and said we don’t guarantee email works on apps (such as Outlook, iPhone OS!). So I have now given up on BT for this inadequate response and standard of service.

0 Ratings
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

@MikeC1777wrote:

I have had this problem for months with BT premium email. I have spent hours with both BT and Microsoft tech support. In the end BT just gave up and said we don’t guarantee email works on apps (such as Outlook, iPhone OS!). So I have now given up on BT for this inadequate response and standard of service.

Sort of fair they cant guarantee but cant wash their hands away also - they should provide a minimum level of troubleshooting on it. 

In your original post you say "The message is that the email address is rejected by the server." Do you have the exact error message?

0 Ratings