Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndyB1
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Can't send emails Mozilla Thunderbird

Go to solution

Good morning, I use mozilla thunderbird for email. As of last night and today I cannot send an email I receive a message: An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: Your message has not been sent as you are accessing your email over an unsecure or untrusted connection. Visit www.bt.com/emailcodes for advice on using secure connections.. Please verify that your email address is correct in your account settings and try again.

I receive emails fine and if I log into my email account on bt site I can send no problem. This problem only started last night prior to this everything was fine. I also get a cannot send on my android phone email it says some emails weren't sent.

Any ideas of how to solve would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Can't send emails Mozilla Thunderbird

Go to solution

I have the same problem. Apparently yahoo have updated and have stopped supporting some out of date email clients which most probably includes Thunderbird. I have started 4 live chats and one totally frustrating phone call to BT and got nowhere. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Thunderbird still works fine for me on BTYahoo, I suspect it is just the usual problem with the BT servers. Don't make any changes, the problem will probably right itself.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

Having said make no changes, I assume you are both using secure ports 993/995 and 465 with SSL selected. If not, use them.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

@Walker444444 wrote:

I have the same problem. Apparently yahoo have updated and have stopped supporting some out of date email clients which most probably includes Thunderbird. I have started 4 live chats and one totally frustrating phone call to BT and got nowhere. 

Thunderbird is not an out of date email client.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution
Nice to know.

However I cannot access emails from either of my accounts on Thunderbird for the last two weeks.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

@Walker444444 wrote:
Nice to know.

However I cannot access emails from either of my accounts on Thunderbird for the last two weeks.

That doesn't mean its a T'bird problem.

Can you still access your email via webmail?

What if anything have you done since the problem started?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

I can still access email through webmail on BT site and I can access mail from both of my accounts through my iPad.

One BT advisor suggested I delete my accounts on Thunderbird and reinstall them. I tried this and it won’t let me reinstall them. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

Because your email account works on all your other devices it would appear not to be a BT email problem and may well be a T'bird problem.

If you have already deleted the email accounts from T'bird I would suggest that first of all you check that you have the most up to date version. To do that open T'bird and go to the menu at the top and select "Help" > "About Mozilla T'bird".

If it updates try adding your account manually, not using the set up wizard, using the settings as per the following link.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

If that does not work and assuming that you do not have any other email accounts set up in T'bird I would uninstall T'bird, restart your computer then re-install T'bird. 

0 Ratings
AndyB1
Beginner
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

Hi yes I was live chatting with bt and they said as I can access logging in through internet explorer, they cannot help and I need to talk to thunderbird support? Also I have the same problem on my android phone not using thunderbird????

0 Ratings