cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marion2
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Can't send emails anymore

I keep getting a message saying "Contacts Password Required' or 'BT internet password required'.  I have tried to input what I think is my password and I get the message 'Can't connect to account btinternet.com' and also 'unable to verify account name or password'.  I changed my BT password a few days ago so I am confident about what it is, but this has made no difference and I still get these messages.  Email is coming in but I can't send out any emails, they are all sitting in the out box. My apple mac computer gave me some instructions as to what to do and I tried to follow them but that has also failed. Help please.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Can't send emails anymore

There will probably be 2 places to change your password in your mail client settings, one for the incoming (IMAP/POP) server and one for the outgoing (SMTP) server. Ensure you have changed the SMTP password.

0 Ratings
spock999
Contributor
Message 3 of 16

I have the same problem. Neither mine or my wifes accounts will send via apple mail on any of our 4 devices. I have changed the password again and we can still receive but not send.

Can send OK via webmail so I assume their server has an issue. My wife has seen somewhare that they have had a problem from around 3pm today.

Frustrating!!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

0 Ratings
CarolA
Beginner
Message 5 of 16

I have this problem also.  I changed my password after the Yahoo hacking scare.  Since then my account has not been recognised by BT although I can get into MyBT. I keep getting the message: I get the message 'Can't connect to account btinternet.com' and also 'unable to verify account name or password'

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

Try clicking on the forgotten password link at the login screen here and change your password again.

0 Ratings
CarolA
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

I've already changed my password several times. 

0 Ratings
CarolA
Beginner
Message 8 of 16

This is the message I got: Sorry

We were unable to log you in to your email.
Please check you are using your correct email password.
If you still see this message, please try again later.
Go back to BT.com >
Back to log in
0 Ratings
Highlighted
spock999
Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Thank you gg30340. That worked on both iPad and iPod.

On my 2 apple computers in OS X you have to change both from within Mail Preferences. Select Accounts. The incoming one is obvious. The outgoing one you have to select the edit option in the drop down menu for the outgoing SMTP server, select the correct server and make the change.

Surely apple could have come up with a more obvious system!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

It wouldn't be Apple if they did things sensibly!