Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Can't send emails but can receive using Thunderbird and BT address and server

Hello from a novice user,

I have been usig Thunderbird since i upgraded to Windows 10 on a new laptop in April this year (2017).  I have two email addresses one is bt.internet, one is hotmail.com  The hotmail goies out via outlook and the btinternet goes out via BT which is my provider as well.   Suddenly, i can't send emails from the btinternet address, although I can receive, and I can receive and send from the hotmail via outloo.  My husband has his own pc and can send and receive from his btaddress via Thunderbird with no problem  When I try to send an email, it sits for ages, and then says 'unable to send'  I took the laptop back to the shop where I bought it, and they said it must be BT server as the hotmail one is woring OK.  But when i contacted BT, they said that because I can access the webmail page, there can't be a problem (even though they didn't ask me to try sending or receiving0  They said I need to reconfigure Thunderbird, so i asked for step by step direcitons on what that means, - they couldn't or wouldn't help.

There was a similare question in 2014 on this forum, from Alan, and he got a result, but my screen is not quite the same, probably because it's now 2017.

I would be grateful for any advice, but please, keep it simple, preferably with either step by step directions, or a screenshot of what I should be looking for.  

Thanks and here's hoping!

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Can't send emails but can receive using Thunderbird and BT address and server

If Thunderbird has been working with your BTinternet address until now, I wouldn't change any settings for the time being, it is probably just one of the regular glitches with the mail server and will probably right itself.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 23

Re: Can't send emails but can receive using Thunderbird and BT address and server

Thank you liquorice, I'll give it a day or two, and hope for the best.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 23

@loondongirl wrote:

Thank you liquorice, I'll give it a day or two, and hope for the best.  

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Do you get any error messages apart from unable to send?

It's certainly unusual to be able to receive and not send, typically it's the other way around or both don't work.

There are the usual things to check such as security software/AV software - which have interferred in the past for some people, but not really been an issue in recent years.

If you've not done already, it's worth checking all your settings in Thunderbird with your Husband's - everything should be the same apart from username/email address. Don't forget to check the smtp (Outgoing server) settings especially - the only thing different should be the UserName.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 23

Hello Andy,

Thank you for thinking about my problem and for the suggestions.  I have now checked the Account settings Outgoing Server box and both pcs show the saem, except for our respective emails addresses as you said.  I took a screenshot, but i can't work out how to load it into this message box.

The only other difference is that i am running two email addresses via Thunderbird, one is a btinternet via mailbtinternet, and the other is a hotmail via utlook.  On the account settings, these show as separate, with two incoming server settings, but only one Outgoing Server settings box.  Don't know if that is relevant.

There is another error message box which constantly comes up.  It is when i receive or send from the hotmail (Outlook server) and says Password failed Retry; Enter new password; Cancel.   When i took the laptop to the shop, they thought they had cured that, by getting me to create a new password, but it's still happening   Now, i just select Cancel, and it seems to work, but it is annoying.

I can send emails from the BT internet webmail, which is why BT thinks the problem can't be with them.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 23

Thunderbird is slightly different to other email clients in as much as it doesn't actually associate outgoing servers with email accounts (in fact you you can manage with just one outgoing server for both accounts. It might be trying to send using the outlook server but with BT credentials. If you thiink it terms of snail mail, you can post a letter in any postbox but can only recieve letters addressed to you through your letterbox.

It just seems unlikely to be a settings error though as it has been working ok and has stopped working without any changes being made to the settings.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 23

Thanks Licquorice, i ee what you mean, and yes it does seem unlikely to be the settings, as you say.   However, something has caused the emails not to be sent.   A friend of a friend has offered to look at it over the weekend, and is suggesting deleting Thunderbird, and then reloading it - slightly nervous about that ,as i have lots of emails and contacts filed in folders, so i'll spend today saving those elsewhere, or even printing them out.  

I'll post onto the forum whether it works or not.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

Before deleting Thunderbird, you could try downloading a different client and see if you have the same problem. Try Claws mail, it is a free download. Make sure you set it up as either IMAP or tick the option to leave a copy of the mail on the server if you choose POP3.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 23

@loondongirl wrote:

Hello Andy,

Thank you for thinking about my problem and for the suggestions.  I have now checked the Account settings Outgoing Server box and both pcs show the saem, except for our respective emails addresses as you said.  I took a screenshot, but i can't work out how to load it into this message box.

The only other difference is that i am running two email addresses via Thunderbird, one is a btinternet via mailbtinternet, and the other is a hotmail via utlook.  On the account settings, these show as separate, with two incoming server settings, but only one Outgoing Server settings box.  Don't know if that is relevant.

There is another error message box which constantly comes up.  It is when i receive or send from the hotmail (Outlook server) and says Password failed Retry; Enter new password; Cancel.   When i took the laptop to the shop, they thought they had cured that, by getting me to create a new password, but it's still happening   Now, i just select Cancel, and it seems to work, but it is annoying.

I can send emails from the BT internet webmail, which is why BT thinks the problem can't be with them.  

Thanks for the extra details and checks.

I have dozens of accounts in my Thunderbird, and each has their own Outgoing server box/details. Withing these dozens are a few BTinternet email addresses.

If you had not mentioned it was working, the fact of having one Outgoing server box (assumed for both accounts), then this would clearly indicate at least one of them would typically fail to send.

Not sure why the shop wanted you to create a new password - sound like they don't actually know what they're doing.

Assuming it's a hotmail account (not sure what you mean a hotmail acount via outlook - unless it's an outlook.com account).

For the incoming server settings, the port numbers would be 995 for both. The Server names are mail.btinternet.com and pop3.live.com (pop-mail.outlook.com for outlook email address). The User Name would be the relevant whole email address, and the Security settings as SSL/TLS and Normal password.

You should have a different Outgoing server for each account.

When you click on one of the account names (Tools/Accounts), the Outgoing Server (SMTP) box might say "Use Default Server". If this is the case, you can check this by looking at the bottom of the account list and see Outgoing Server (SMTP). In the right - it should show the details, Description, Server Name, Port, User Name, Authentication method & Connection Security.

You can add a new one and edit the default one - if no default, it might simply be the only one listed.

For Hotmail, it needs to be :-

Description : This is just a name you call it, so say "Hotmail account"

Server Name : smtp.live.com (or smtp-mail.outlook.com)

Port : 587

User Name : Full email address

Authentication : Normal Password

Connection security : STARTTLS

For BTinternet, it needs to be :-

Description : This is just a name you call it, so say "BTinternet account"

Server Name : mail.btinternet.com

Port : 465

User Name : Full email address

Authentication : Normal Password

Connection security : SSL/TLS

You can then choose the relevant smtp server from the drop down box against Outgoing Server (SMTP) on the main account setting screen for each account.

If this is already set for either of them, then it could be a a temporary account access failure via a mail client such as Thunderbird (webmail is usually unaffected).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 23

Thanks Andy, you have set out the server informaton clearly, and i can now look to see if the settings are correct.  A friend of a friend has offered to remove Thunderbird and reinstall it for me, - slightly nervous about this, as i have lots of emails and contacts, stored infolders, but i have spent today saving and filing. 

I'll take the information you have outlined re the server settings, and post the results after the reinstall has been done.

0 Ratings