cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 21 of 23

Re: Can't send emails but can receive using Thunderbird and BT address and server

@loondongirl wrote:

So we have concluded that the problem must lie within my pc,-  perhaps Windows 10, as my friend uses Windows 8. As i mentioned before, my husband also uses Windows 10, and a BT email addresses which he accesses via Thunderbird.

Do you think that conclusion is correct?  And if so, should I run a Windows 10 trouobleshooter, - I've seen them on Microsoft but not sure whether these will help.

Well, the answer might be yes and no to the conclusion!

You said it was fine to start with after win10 upgrade, indicating something else is interferring with the process. The "old" usual culprits are AV/security software as I mentioned earlier. What have you got in this area? Things like "email scanning" or similarly worded features could might have a bearing.

That could also interfere with other packages, in this case Opera, due to the way the AV software deals with the send/receive email protocols.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 23

Re: Can't send emails but can receive using Thunderbird and BT address and server

Thanks Andy N,  how to I check my AV/Security features?  

Also, don't know if it makes a difference, but this was not an upgrade, I bought a brand new laptop, and it came with Windows 10 and Thunderbird loaded, - then the shop loaded all my docs and old emails onto the server before I collected it and paid.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 23 of 23

@loondongirl wrote:

Thanks Andy N,  how to I check my AV/Security features?  

Also, don't know if it makes a difference, but this was not an upgrade, I bought a brand new laptop, and it came with Windows 10 and Thunderbird loaded, - then the shop loaded all my docs and old emails onto the server before I collected it and paid.

It doesn't make a difference as such, since it did used to work.

Interestingly it's been a few months since the new laptop, and makes me wonder whether it came with a "free" trial of some security package - which is what by the way? - and maybe it has expired. That really shouldn't cause this issue ...

You should be able to look at win10 settings and see what security package (if any) might be overriding win10 versions.

0 Ratings