cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Can't send emails using Outlook for Mac with a Microsoft 365 subscription

I can receive emails but I can't send any. They stay in the Outbox.

I get an error message 'invalid user ID or password from 86.146.127.22'. This is very odd as the credentials must be correct for me to receive emails and I can send/receive emails from my iPhone Outlook account using the same credentials.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Can't send emails using Outlook for Mac with a Microsoft 365 subscription

Does it work ok using BT web mail ?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

@LindsayC1 wrote:

I get an error message 'invalid user ID or password from 86.146.127.22'. This is very odd as the credentials must be correct for me to receive emails

Not really, the outgoing (SMTP) and incoming (IMAP)  servers are different and each require their own credentials. Make sure the SMTP credentials are correct and that authentication required is ticked.

Message 4 of 11

Yes, I can send and receive emails using BT webmail.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Thanks for your suggestion, but my SMTP credentials are correct and the authentication required box is ticked. Everything was working correctly until  a couple of days ago when, without me making any changes, I was no longer able to send emails from my Mac

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

@LindsayC1 If web mail is working then don't change your password, it'll just further confuse things. It doesn't sound like there's a fault at your end if all the credentials are correct. You could just leave it for a while and see if it sorts itself out.  

Message 7 of 11

OK, I'll leave things as they are for 24 hours and see if it sorts itself out.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

I'm having this exact same situation with Outlook for Mac. I can receive messages fine and send from Webmail and Apple Mail. 

"just waiting to see if it sorts itself out" has not worked here as it's been over two weeks now. 

Please let me know if you find a solution

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

RobGuitar

You have posted on a thread that is a year old so you may not get a reply.

Rather than posting on old threads and those of other posters you should stick to your own thread. 

By doing that any replies that you get will be specifically for your problem and avoid any confusion with any replies that are for the OP of the thread you posted on and stop any duplication of effort posting across threads.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

I still have the problem with sending emails using Outlook for Mac even after carrying out all the checks and setting changes suggested by BT tech support. In the end I gave up and now use the Apple Mail, which is very clunky but reliable