I’m having a problem setting up my BT email account on a new iPad. I have seen various posts on this forum on the topic and have tried the various suggestions without success. With apologies for the length of the post my ‘story’ is as follows.
I have been on BT email for many years. When I switched to a different broadband provider I had to move to BT Premium Mail, and pay a monthly fee, to keep my email address. About a year ago I changed back to BT Broadband. After a few months I noticed that I was still paying a monthly fee. I spoke to someone at Premium Mail and they talked me through importing the email to my BT Id, which they said would stop the billing, move me to a Standard Account and they refunded me the overpayment. I’m not sure if this worked as when I checked a couple of months ago I saw that the email was not attached to my BT Id, so I had to repeat the process. I have just noticed that the monthly payment has continued to be taken. The email account is a BT Yahoo account which is apparent when I log into the account from my pc (to make sure that I wasn’t using old data I cleared my cookies and browser cache before logging in directly from BT.com and the email header still shows as BTYahoo). I also get the account on an old ipad and 2 iphones where it was set up using the Yahoo settings in the apple mail app. On all of those devices the password, which works, is the same and all can send and receive email with no trouble.
I bought a new ipad and tried to set up the email to no avail. Initially I tried to use the ‘Yahoo wizard’ but that took me to a btmail web page which said that BT ‘don’t support new set ups via the app anymore’ and to ‘select ‘Other’ and then enter your email address and password’. I tried that but was told that ‘username or password for mail.btinternet.com is incorrect’.
I contacted support via webchat and was told that everything was fine with my account and that someone from Level 2 support would call me to fix the problem. They didn’t. I had another webchat where I was assured that this would be fixed and that as the account was flagged as Premium Mail I should call the Premium Mail help desk and that they would fix it. I duly did this and, after hanging on for 30 minutes, managed to speak to someone. I was told that BT didn’t support any external apps and that BT mail should only be accessed from a web browser so they couldn’t help. They then put the phone down on me.
I had another look at my BT Account and the email very clearly shows as being on a Standard Account. I also saw the option to have a further email address, which I took up. I tried to set that up on the new iPad putting the details in as ‘Other’ and it worked straight away. That tells me that the server and port settings that the apple mail app uses are the right ones for BT and suggests to me that there is a ‘gremlin’ somewhere in my original email address / account but BT won’t or can’t fix it.
Any thoughts on what to try next would be greatly appreciated.
Solved! Go to Solution.
First things first, regardless of which mail system you are on and regardless of whether your mail is premium mail or attached to a btinternet account the mail settings are identical.
Try using a different mail app and set the account up manually using these settings
I've tried those setting in the apple app and also tried them using Outlook. Neither work - Apple says username or password incorrect, Outlook says unable to log in and check IMAP server settings (which I did and they are the ones from the BT website)
There have been problems in the past with devices syncing passwords with the webmail server. It is possible that changing your password within webmail whilst all other devices are switched off to prevent them accessing mail and then changing to the new password on each device one at a time may cure the problem and allow the account to be set up on the new device. However, as the other devices are using Yahoo settings rather than BT settings, it might result in those devices being unable to access the mail server.
Alternatively I can ask if the mods can raise the problem with the mail team, but they may suggest the same thing.
Just wanted to say thanks for the advice and help - changing the password worked.
I logged out of the email account on all my Apple devices, changed the password via my pc, waited four hours and then tried to set up again on my new iPad and it worked first time ! This is an 'all or nothing' solution, however, as when I went to log back in on my old Apple devices I was taken to the BT webpage which says that setting up via Yahoo is no longer available. But it was a matter of moments to delete those account and then set them up anew using the 'Other' option.
Again many thanks