Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Taffy078
Expert
Message 1 of 17

Can't set up a new BT email address

Go to solution

I need to create a new BT email address so I followed the link on the main BT log-in screen. 

The instructions there are very clear viz.

Click on Your Products > scroll down to Email and select Manage  > select Create new email address > You'll be asked to choose your new email address and provide a new password for it > When you've done this, click Create email > You'll receive a confirmation message and your new email address will be linked to your BT ID.

As I said, the instructions are very clear. I followed them, chose a new email address & password but when I clicked on Create email up popped the message below.

The only problem I was expecting was a message along the lines of "This email address is already taken. Try again." because it's always possible to select a name that someone else has already., but below is the screen that appeared.  What should I do, please?

BT mail problems creating new email address 2021-05 19th.PNG

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Can't set up a new BT email address

Go to solution

Make sure that you are not using any "illegal" characters in the username and the password. Try sticking to just Alphanumeric characters.

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Hi, @gg30340.

What I input was the equivalent of "Phil.JonesATbtinternet.com". I made sure that I didn't use the underscore character (viz _) because it's not permitted in the Community.

I'll try again now and get back to you asap with an update.

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

I followed the instructions again and input the new name.

I used aaaa.aaaaATbtinternet.com where 'a' are lower case characters.

I got the same "Sorry, this username/password is not recognised, please try again".

It's a new user name so it shouldn't be recognised, should it?

Any advice please, @gg30340 ?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

Don’t want to interfere.

It’s long ago since I set up my Bt mail username.

It doesn’t  want to accept uppercase, or the full stop, dot,  in the users name.

Only works with “bbloggsAT btinternet.com”, not b.bloggs.

Yes  my name involves 3 sets of double characters.....seems to upset things!

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

@Ribblelancs wrote:

Don’t want to interfere.

It’s long ago since I set up my Bt mail username.

It doesn’t  want to accept uppercase, or the full stop, dot,  in the users name. I have just set up an new email address. It does not accept capitol letters but it does accept a full stop in the username.

Only works with “bbloggsAT btinternet.com”, not b.bloggs. It does work with b.bloggs

Yes  my name involves 3 sets of double characters.....seems to upset things! I have previously set up an email address set out as follows a.b.blogs without any issues

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are very busy at present so it can take up to 48 hours for them to contact you. They will do this by posting on this thread.

0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

Hi @Taffy078 

Thanks for your post and welcome back.  I hope you are keeping well?

Sorry you're seeing that message when trying to create a new mailbox,  Strange issue!  If there was a problem, you'd expect to see the message you mentioned (name already taken) and not the one that popped up given the fact that you're trying to create a new one.

We're going to have to get this checked out from here.  I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Hi@RobbieMac. I just tried to create another BT email address. This time I chose one that I thought would be unique i.e. not used by lots of BT customers, but yet again I got the "Not Recognised" message. Over to you!!!

0 Ratings
StuartH
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

Hi @Taffy078 

Thanks for posting back I've passed those details to @Neilo who is managing this case for you.

Cheers

Stuart

0 Ratings