cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Cannot Reset email Password

I received an email to my backup account saying:

"...We've blocked your XXXXXXXXX@btinternet.com email address because it might not be secure any more.

This might be because someone's got into your email account without your permission, and could use it to send spam or get personal information like your bank details.

What you need to do
To unblock it, go to bt.com/mybt and follow the steps."

So I log in to mybt and note that it won't let you 'unblock' it unless you reset the password.  Go through the ID check screen (memorable name, DoB etc), choose new password and a red banner comes up on the reset page saying:

"Sorry, something went wrong.

Please try again."

Try again and same message.  So now there is no way around it is there?  

No email available, no way anybody knows am not getting my emails - life seriously messed up.  I've looked at thread on here that talk about how new passwords wont work in email clients etc but how t get around this one???

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Cannot Reset email Password

@LondonChap 

Are you currently a BT Broadband customer, or are you paying £7.50 a month for BT Premium mail?

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

I am a BT Broadband customer

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Contact BT on 0800.800.150 and ask for the email team. They should be able to reset your password for you.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Wouldn't it be better if a) the reset screen online worked abd b) the helpline also worked...?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 11

@LondonChapwrote:

Wouldn't it be better if a) the reset screen online worked abd b) the helpline also worked...?

Absolutely.

There seems to be a few reports of a similar nature to yours in the past few days. Naturally it could be a coincidence, or that the system has got an issue and locking accounts for reasons that may not be set at the right level.

I personally believe the system is totally inadequate for email, and people should use something else. Use Gmail, tell all your contacts and website accesses etc. It might take a couple of months, but you'll be better off and not tied to any ISP for email.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

@LondonChap wrote:

Yes, but as it apparently doesn't you could I suppose wait until it does or it will probably be quicker to phone the above number.

Contributor
Message 8 of 11

dont hold your breath  person on phone has  deleted 2 accounts  changed my main log in credentials with out telling me  then hung up on me  as it was finishing time 9pm

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Exactly.  That so-called helpline is a waste of time.  There is absolutely no recourse at all and one has to quit bt email and start again in Gmail... as I suspect they are hoping.  Meanwhile who knows what critical emails are now sitting unread?  Someone from BT on this community needs to speak to BT management and post the outcome of that discussion so that it is transparent.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

as if that would happen .

0 Ratings