Hi folks, I stupidly associated my email address with my BT ID so that one passwoed is sufficient to access email via the BT.Com website. However, since doing that I can no longer recieve or send email using my Outlook 2016 client. Can anyone suggest a solution - bearing in mind I am not in the first flush of youth so keep it pretty simple and jargon free please.
Solved! Go to Solution.
I have the same problem.
It started today.
Even though I know for 100% certainty that I'm using the correct password it just keeps telling me to sign in.
It's as though the BT IMAP servers have stopped working
Gerry_Atrick and Malacath
There have been problems with the BT IMAP/POP servers stopping email clients from accessing the users email account for years. The advice from forum users is to do nothing such as changing passwords or deleting and resetting up accounts as this invariably causes more problems than it solves, The problem usually resolves its self in a day or two.
I presume that you can still send and receive emails when you use webmail. If that is the case it is obviously not a problem with your email accounts or with your password.
Because the problem started when you changed your password I would suggest that you do the following:
Switch off all your devices / Outlook that usually access your email or at the least stop them from polling your email account for new email. You can do this by either deleting the email account from the device or just change the email address in your email account settings.
Change your webmail email password yet again. Check that you can access your email account via webmail.
Wait at least one hour before starting one of your devices or Outlook and set up the email account with the new password.
Check that this device is working before moving onto the next device.
Ensure that you are using the correct settings via this link and set the email accounts up manually rather than using the email wizard.
BT would appear to be having some problems with its email servers today, there is a message on the BT email log on page. I would not try and do anything until that problem is resolved.
Further to my earlier note and the helpful pointers from a BT sage, I changed the password of the account that I had a problem with and it has now been accepted by Outlook and is working fine. However, the new address I created (and will maintain for test purposes) has still been rejected by Outlook even though I also changed the password on it as well.
Nowt so queer as technology - totally beyond me now. Think I might just invest in a pot of Quink, a few quills and some Basildon Bond paper.