cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Cannot access one email sub account

Go to solution

I have several BT email sub-accounts.  I have had this problem for a while and in the past, if you wait it normally corrects itself but this time it has not. On my desktop, Thunderbird reports a server problem, my laptop gets nowhere and my android phone cannot access this account.

I have looked at my email accounts online and it is reported as "Active".  I am an officer of an association and it is the account I use for this work.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Cannot access one email sub account

Go to solution

Although the email account is showing as "Active" when you log on via my BT can you say what the "Account Type" is showing as.

If you are a BT Broadband customer it should be a "standard" account.

Can you log onto the email account using a web browser using this link.

BT Email 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

I tried to follow your instructions but when I tried to log into the account in question, I just got the bouncing ball page and the words Loading ...  I left it for 5 mins but there was no change.

I hope this gives you a clue to what is going on.  By the way, my browser is Firefox.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

To check the type of email account you have you need to log onto your MyBT then go to "Your Products" then "Email,Manage". Once there if you look at the top of the page under the heading "Mange your email" you should see "Account Type". What does it say?

Have you tried a different browser?

When you log onto your MyBT and go to "Email, manage", can you click on "Go to favourite mailbox". If you can, once at your favourite mailbox if you click on your username at the top right do you see the option "switch account" and if you do see it can you hover over and does it show your "sub account" and if it does are you able to click on it and select the email account?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

I have now checked and the answer to your first question about Account Type is "Standard".

Concerning my Favourite mailbox, it reports that I do not have a favourite mailbox.  Only 2 of my mailboxes offer the option to be made as my favourite mailbox and they are mailboxes that I rarely use.  The 3 others report Add to BT ID.  I have seen this before but one is my BT ID!?  Another is my Primary email address, which I never use except to contact BT.  I thought that this would keep my primary email address safe but I may be mistaken.  The third account is the sub-account with which I have a problem.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Unless you have "gifted" the email addresses to another person or "gifted" them to yourself and set them up to have their own BTID, they should have all been linked to your BTID. This allows you to manage them when you log onto your MyBT using your BTID.

See link

How do I create and activate a new BT Email address? | BT Help

Most people use what you have termed your Primary email address as their BTID. They then make that their favourite and by doing this they can access all the accounts that are linked to their BTID using the method I outlined in my last post.

I suspect that your errant email account has somehow become disassociated with your account which may or may not have been caused by not being linked to a BTID.

In any event I think this will require intervention at BT's end and as such I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are very busy at present so it can take up to 48 hours for them to contact you. They will do this by posting on this thread. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @jeffw, sorry you are having trouble with one of your sub-accounts. I've sent you a Private Message so you can get in touch with us and we'll be happy to help you get this account working again.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Hi John I have a similar problem can you help me please Mike

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

A very nice gut from BT contacted me and said the problem was my password, which was incorrect.  I am sure he was right from a BT perspective but believe me, I was using the password that I had set!

He talked me through changing the password for the sub-account having the problem and everything was fine and I agreed he could close the case.  However, the next day, the problem was back, with the same sub-account!

I tried to change the sub-account password again but I cannot remember exactly how he got me to the correct page.  I go to Your Email Accounts, then click on Manage your email, select the sub-account with the problem, click Options and it offers me the option to Change Password but if I select this option it appears to be going the change the password for my BT ID, so I stop, as that is the last thing that I which to do.  I have tried searching help but I cannot find how to change the password for a single sub-account.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Go to the direct login page here  and click forgotten login details

0 Ratings