cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
czernopod
Beginner
Message 41 of 45

Re: Cannot access to btinternet email's now - keep asking for password

And apologies for posting from two different addresses... does anyone else get frustrated by having to create a new user id/password for every different forum that they use?  Maybe there's an opportunity for Google to create an all-embracing account so that you only have to log in once.  It would have the added bonus that Google could track all of our different interests, allowing them to target advertising even more accurately.  What's that Skippy?  No?  Really?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 42 of 45

Since BT are moving away from Yahoo the servers you should be using are mail.btinternet.com, so that will be why you had the problem.

They are also using for IMAP

Incoming port 995 ssl security

Outgoing port 465 ssl security

and POP3

Incoming port 993 ssl security

See this link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 43 of 45

@gg30340 wrote:

Since BT are moving away from Yahoo the servers you should be using are mail.btinternet.com, so that will be why you had the problem.

They are also using for IMAP

Incoming port 995    993 ssl security

and POP3

Incoming port 993   995 ssl security

See this link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 44 of 45

Ooops a senior moment, thanks for that vofsanity2

0 Ratings
Highlighted
cnelms
Aspiring Contributor
Message 45 of 45

How disappointing that this is still an issue in 2016. I have used BT email for years, in conjunction with Outlook 2002 and 2003, and my Android phone. About a month ago BT sorted out another problem I had, of being unable to log in via the web interface. Since then I have had the problem of Outlook demanding and then ignoring the password, and Android failing to log in. In both cases the workaround was to log in via the web interface, and then both Outlook and Android work fine for a while. However, the “while” started at 24 hours and gradually shortened to an hour or so. In the past BT Support have always been most helpful, but on this occasion despite speaking to three different support staff, each could not or would not grasp the problem. Each suggested that I either clear my browser history and cookies, or adjust my Outlook settings. None of this made sense, given that the problem arose on both Outlook and Android at the same time, two different systems. However, I have come up with a work-around that seems to work well. This is to create a new BT email account. As I do not want to have to change my email address, I have set my original account to forward all emails to the new account, and configured Outlook and Android to make it appear that emails I send still come from my old account. This does mean that the forwarded emails are not deleted from the inbox of my old account, and just accumulate there until I log in via the web interface and delete them, but with 1TB of storage this is no problem. The biggest problem was working out how to forward emails, so for the benefit of others similarly puzzled the steps are:

1. Log in to email via the web https://login.yahoo.com/
  2. Once you are in email, click on the cogwheel icon at the top right. You may need to scroll to the right to see it, or reduce the screen size using <Ctrl> and “-“
  3. Select “Settings”
  4. Select “Accounts”
  5. Click on the relevant account
  6. Scroll down to see the Forward option at the bottom.
  7. (Failing this, this link seems to work as well: https://uk-mg42.mail.yahoo.com/neo/b/options?fid=Inbox&fidx=FIDX_INBOX&motype=pop&ac=zOJ5yDIrnph3MT8...

Good luck!

0 Ratings