cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
morrig47
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Cannot get mail message on iPhone and iPad for BT Yahoo Mail accounts

To be exact the message reads "Cannot get mail - The username or passowrd for BTinternet is incorrect". Both my partner and myself are recently getting this message constantly yet there is no error on the usernames or passowrds. We have both deleted our acoounts and added them from new with no difference. Both are IMAP accounts on BT Yahoo. There have been no issues on my Mac. The only thing I can find on this forum refers to a 2013 query where the advice was that BT Yahoo does not like its email accunts open on too many devices at the same time.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
southweststokie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Cannot get mail message on iPhone and iPad for BT Yahoo Mail accounts

See other thread on this one. I have the same issue. From my Mac, it works fine, Webmail also works fine, but iPad and IPhone its stopped working,

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 11

@southweststokie wrote:

See other thread on this one. I have the same issue. From my Mac, it works fine, Webmail also works fine, but iPad and IPhone its stopped working,

Ah, you posted elsewhere. Just to clarify, how do you access the email via Mac? If it's via a mail client, then that indicates one of those failures that BTmail team have never properly looked into, if they have then nothing has been fed back to this forum.

In other words, webmail fine, POP3/IMAP failure.

This fault has been reported over a large number of years. For some it can last a few hours, other a few days - and the odd time even longer.

0 Ratings
morrig47
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

First of all many thanks to both of you for replying to my query - very much appreciated.

At any time I might access my mail through Mac Mail, an iPhone and an iPad. Very occasionally I use webmail via BT. The "Cannot get mail" message does not appear on Mac Mail or webmail, simply on the devices. What is really crazy is the fact that the mail is actually downloaded onto the devices despite the warning message. You can see the new downloaded mail on the screen underneath the error message - very bizarre. Just to repeat I have deleted and re-entered my mail account on both devices on numerous occasions, but the message keeps re-occuring with no discernable pattern. 

0 Ratings
southweststokie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

I managed to resolve on my wifes iPhone and iPad - deleted account and re-created. Whether it's a long term fix, we'll wait and see. Clearly an underlying problem that I find very strange. Every other email account and set up has worked long term on the same devices, so why not BT Yahoo ? Bizarre and very poor imho.

SWS

0 Ratings
morrig47
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

As you will have read I did try that approach with no success. Hope you have fixed yours! Currently my hope is it was a glitch in iOS 10.3 and that the upgrade to iOS 11 will resolve it. Well I can hope can't I?

0 Ratings
Trainspotter
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

I have just joined the forum because this problem has been happening on my wife's new iPad since mid September previously ok .This started with iOS 10 then 1 now 11.0.1 the problem still persists . Deleted ,rebooted and added again ,still not working .This mail account also fails to received new messages even on my iPad (iOS 9.3.5 ) so deleted on my machine , fault persists .All ok when accessed via BT.com .Also this account is on a Samsung Galaxy phone and new mail works to that except that on arrival it brings back previously deleted mail .Is there any chance that this is associated with the accounts having to have a BT I'd .Any help much appreciated . These faults do not happen with my btinternet mail .

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 11

@Trainspotter wrote:

I have just joined the forum because this problem has been happening on my wife's new iPad since mid September previously ok .This started with iOS 10 then 1 now 11.0.1 the problem still persists . Deleted ,rebooted and added again ,still not working .This mail account also fails to received new messages even on my iPad (iOS 9.3.5 ) so deleted on my machine , fault persists .All ok when accessed via BT.com .Also this account is on a Samsung Galaxy phone and new mail works to that except that on arrival it brings back previously deleted mail .Is there any chance that this is associated with the accounts having to have a BT I'd .Any help much appreciated . These faults do not happen with my btinternet mail .

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Can you expand a bit on your last sentence? You said "These faults do not happen with my btinternet mail", so can you confirm what you're referring to with the fault? What account do you mean? (Please don't post personal details).

0 Ratings
Trainspotter
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Yes what I mean is that my BT yahoo email address works ok my iPad , the email address for my wife ( BT yahoo mail ) fails to update for new messages on either her iPad or mine for some weeks now.I have tried deleting and adding still no good. On either ,deleted the failing mail on my iPad ,fault persists. Today I add ed my email account on on the iPad of my wife , my email receives ok but the wife's email still does not uPdate . The email address for my wife is a secondary on my account .Just to be clear all the old emails are there it just does not update new ones .

0 Ratings
Highlighted
JElster01
Message 10 of 11

Did a solution get found for this?  I've just fallen into this "trap" - reset my password for BT Yahoo mail on my computer using lowercase letters and numbers. Works fine on windows computer but i get the infamous "Cannot Get mail" message when i try and access via my ipad or iphone.  I've deleted the account and tried to start again using the imap and POP settings given in other posts but i still can't set the account up on either IOS device.

0 Ratings