Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Terryjw
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Cannot receive e-mails on Outlook 2010

Go to solution

I cannot receive any e-mails on my Outlook 2010

It keeps asking for my password, even when re-entered it still refuses to let e-mails through.

Any ideas what to do?

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
hhmrogers
Message 2 of 5

Re: Cannot receive e-mails on Outlook 2010

Go to solution

Two days ago BT Mail refused to cooperate with my mail reader which has been Eudora for many years.  I've had no luck with Eudora OSE and Mozilla Thunderbird - my BT password is not being recognized

I'm now installed Outlook.  Having done so the response I get is:

"There's a problem connecting to the SMTP mail server. "

What on earth is going on?   😞

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Make sure you have the correct settings

POP3

Server incoming and out going: mail.btinternet.com

Email user name: (Normally you only need the prefix of your email address but some users have found the need to enter their full email address.ie xxxxx@btinternet.com)

Password: Your BT email password.

Log on using clear text authentication

Out Going Server in requires Authentication (Use same as incoming mail server. Some users have found that they need to enter the password and username instead of ticking box “use same as incoming mail server” )

Outgoing Port : 465 SSL security

Incoming Port : 995 SSL security

IMAP

Same as above except for Incoming Port: 993 SSL security

See here for the BT link to the settings.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/346,6588,6591

Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Frustrating 3 days trying to get emails through Outlook 2010 - have altered the settings as per instructions - still no joy.  what now?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Can you log onto your BTMail account via webmail https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform

What type of email account are you using, is it POP3 or IMAP.

If it's IMAP have you tried deleting the email account and setting it up again. If you do that make sure you set it up manually carefully inserting the settings as required. Don't use the wizard.

If it's POP3 you may also need to delete it and set it up again but before you do, ensure you have either all the emails still on the BT servers by logging onto webmail using link above or make sure that you back up all your email and folders in Outlook before deleting the account. If you don't do that you may lose all your previously downloaded emails and folders.

0 Ratings