cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Charlie5
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Cannot send email, except to myself. No Errors!!

Hi,

This problem has me stumped:

I have 2 email addresses, primary and secondary and have a problem sending from both accounts using Thunderbird. This is what I can and cannot do:

- I can send from primary to primary but not to secondary or anyone else.
- I can send from secondary to secondary but not to primary or anyone else.

Everything worked fine until early this week.

I've checked all settings in Thunderbird and all looks ok. I get no errors when sending, the email ends up in my sent items and I get no failure message. To me it looks like the email has been sent without a problem. I have also tried with Windows Live Mail and get exactly the same problem.

I receive some emails on both primary and secondary, however I don't think I am receiving all of them.

I can send using android phone from both accounts with no problems so far. I can also send without problems from webmail.

Is there a problem with btinternet email?

Anyone else having similar problems?

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Cannot send email, except to myself. No Errors!!

Are you using BT mail or Btyahoo Mail ?

Are you using pop or imap ?

For the emails you have received have you checked the headers to see the path taken ?

Based on the information supplied it looks more like a receiving problem rather than a sending one.

Has anyone reported not receiving an email you have sent to them ?

0 Ratings
Charlie5
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

I'm using BT Mail.

It's POP.

One of the emails has this in the source (?):

Received: from rgout0407.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk (10.110.33.193) by be24.bt.int.cpcloud.co.uk (9.0.018.2)
Received: from [127.0.0.1] (86.164.32.63) by rgout04.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk (8.6.122.06)

How might this give a clue of what it wrong?

Yes, I have spoken to people I have sent emails and they have not recieved what I've sent.

I have not changed anything since last week. Last week everything was fine, now it doesn't work. What could possibly have changed to make this happen?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

What version of windows do you have? Win10 had a large update this week, and might have caused an issue - perhaps with interference with a security product.

As all seems fine with Android, it implies an issue with your PC. However, give you router a reboot, sometimes this can cure strange email issues.

0 Ratings
Charlie5
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Problem is with two computers. One is running Win7 and the other Vista.

Yes, I had seen some windows updates this week, but they have not been installed yet; otherwise I would think it may have been this.

Both computers are connected to the internet by the same router; I'll try a restart.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Charlie5
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Update - restarting the hub has no effect.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

@Charlie5 wrote:

I'm using BT Mail.

It's POP.

One of the emails has this in the source (?):

Received: from rgout0407.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk (10.110.33.193) by be24.bt.int.cpcloud.co.uk (9.0.018.2)
Received: from [127.0.0.1] (86.164.32.63) by rgout04.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk (8.6.122.06)

How might this give a clue of what it wrong?

Yes, I have spoken to people I have sent emails and they have not recieved what I've sent.

I have not changed anything since last week. Last week everything was fine, now it doesn't work. What could possibly have changed to make this happen?

Thanks

Thank you for the update. I apologise for the delay in replying.

Looking at the headers gives the path the successful emails are taking. This will differ depending on whether webmail or an email client is being used so it is important to compare like with like.

You should be able to compare the successful emails headers that you had before the problem started with the successful email headers you have now to see if anything has changed.

It is likely based on the evidence you have supplied so far that the emails are successfully leaving your device. The problem therefore arises in transit or receipt.

Critical Path (CP) have in the past rejected emails without indicating why so they may be doing so again.

If you need further help please ask.

0 Ratings