cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 36

Cannot send emails from BT account over Three mobile Internet

Go to solution

I have a complex problem and cannot work out where it lies exactly. The problem suddenly started a few months ago (possibly around the time BT moved away from the Yahoo setup?). Here's the situation:

I can send emails with my Android phone from all my mail accounts when I'm on Wi-Fi. However, if I'm out of Wi-Fi coverage and using the mobile Internet from Three, I cannot send emails from my BT email account. I get the message "x emails were not sent". I have to wait until I'm on Wi-Fi again and then re-send them, which always works. Despite that, I can still send emails from my Hotmail and Gmail accounts over the mobile Internet at all times.

A friend suggested the problem might be caused by a weak Wi-Fi signal tricking the phone into trying to send the emails that way, but that wouldn't explain why I can still send from other mail accounts. I've even tried turning off Wi-Fi when I'm away from home, but the BT emails still refuse to send.

Having said all that, I can still receive emails to my BT account at all times, so could there be something in my outgoing mail settings that prevents me sending over mobile Internet but allows me to send over Wi-Fi?

I can browse the Internet without any problems when I'm not on Wi-Fi.

This has me completely foxed, so any help will be very welcome!

Tags (2)
35 REPLIES 35
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 36

Re: Cannot send emails from BT account over Three mobile Internet

Go to solution

I'm having exactly the same problem.  I've tried using Samsung's email client and Gmail, I am unable to send emails on mobile data (but can send them over wifi).  I can send emails over data using my Gmail account.  I've tried deleting my account and have checked all the settings.  The issue lies with BT.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 36

Go to solution

Hi Scotty. It's reassuring (in a way) to know I'm not the only one. Did you notice when the problem started? I didn't have it before this year.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 36

Go to solution

I noticed it about a week ago when I was out and about (rare these days!) and assumed it was a temporary problem.  I noticed it again today.

I just spoke to a BT engineer.  He asked me whether I could send emails using mobile data using BT webmail (rather than an email client).  So I tried that (turned off wifi on my phone and forced it to use data).   The email sent fine using the webmail (as I expected).   However, now I can send emails over data using my email client (Samsung's own).  I don't know whether sending an email over data using webmail somehow authenticated my phone/account, but it does appear to have fixed the problem.  Try it yourself and let me know if it fixes the problem. 

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 5 of 36

Go to solution

I'll give it a go and report back. (Don't hold your breath - I'm going to have dinner first!)

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 36

Go to solution

I am also in exactly the same boat.

But why are you assuming its bt and not 3 fault?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 36

Go to solution

I am on O2. Definitely BT issue. 

Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 36

Go to solution

Just tried sending an email and once again it fails. Sending an email through webmail doesn't cure the problem, it must have been a fluke before.  Beyond annoying. 

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 36

Go to solution

Out of interest.  What phones is every one using? I've tried a S9 and S20. Both fail.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 36

Go to solution

Samsung S20 on O2. I've tried using Samsung stock email client and Gmail, both fail.