Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
selector
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Cannot send emails

Hi

I use Thunderbird on my laptop to send/recieve emails and at the moment I can recieve them but not send.

This has happened before but usually rights itself after 24hrs and is just put down to a BT glitch !

However  this time its not sorting itself out and is now inconvenient.

Can anyone give me any pointers as to how to sort this out please ?

Many thanks

Steve

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
selector
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Cannot send emails

I have changed my password but am still getting " Login to server smtp.btinternet.com with username failed "
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

How are you accessing your email. Is it via a web browser or are you using an email client and if so which one?

0 Ratings
selector
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Hi - I have Thunderbird on my laptop. It has been working for absolutely years like this but has now stopped sending, I am receiving emails with no problem
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Sorry, I should have noticed that you were using T'bird in your first post!.

There have been problems with the BT IMAP/POP servers stopping email clients from accessing the users email account for years. The advice from forum users is to do nothing such as changing passwords or deleting and resetting up accounts as this invariably causes more problems than it solves.

Because you could receive emails via T'bird it was obviously not a problem with your password.

Presumably you can send and receive via webmail or is that not the case?

If you can send/receive via webmail and because you have changed the password I would suggest that you try the following:

Switch off or stop all your devices that access your email account such as mobile phones from polling for your email  and also stop T'bird from polling for your email. You can do this by  just changing the email address in your email account settings by adding a 1 to the end.

Change your webmail email password yet again and ensure that you can access your email account and that it can send and receive emails.

Wait at least 30 minutes to an hour before changing T'bird back to the correct email address and add the new password.

Check that T'bird is working before moving onto the next device if you have any.

Ensure that you are using the correct settings via this link and set the email accounts up manually rather than using the email wizard.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

0 Ratings
selector
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Well I have done all of the above I think and still can't send emails.
I can send and receive via the bt yahoo/email page and also on my iphone.
Help !
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

@selectorwrote:
Well I have done all of the above I think and still can't send emails.
I can send and receive via the bt yahoo/email page and also on my iphone.
Help !

Hi.

When did this actually start this time?

As you've probably altered some of the settings, can you still receive emails ok via TB?

I see you said you've got smtp.btinternet.com as the server, it really should be mail.btinternet.com - try that. They should be interchangeable, but they do have different IP addresses.

Other things to check are any interference from security packages, some can stop emails being sent and need action to allow it - particularly after an upgrade or even an installation. Do you have something like that?

0 Ratings