cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonnohudski
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Cannot send from Outlook 365 Using BT Yahoo Mail Account

I am attempting to assist an elderly friend with an issue he has on his brand new computer.

He is running Windows 10 (Home, Version 1803) with Office 365 (Outlook 2016 (Version 1812 Build 11126.20266) installed and definitely has a BT Yahoo E-mail account as he gets the Yahoo logo at the top right of Webmail (which also works flawlessly).

I have been through any forum post which mentions BT Yahoo and Office 365 (and Outlook 2016) to no avail.

Current set up is...

IMAP, using servers imap.mail.yahoo.com and smtp.mail.yahoo.com.

Incoming authentication on SSL/TLS port 993 and Outgoing authentication on SSL/TLS port 465 (have also tried 587 which doesn't actually pass the connection test). Also have requires authentication on the Outgoing Server Tab ticked.

Username and password are correct, and have successfully set up the account on my own Windows box (7) with Outlook 2016.

He also has his acocunt connected to 2 iPads, an iPhone and another 2 laptops at home with no problem at all.

The issue is that although the tests pass to show he can connect, and indeed the test e-mails come through (after a fashion), not one single outgoing message leaves the Outbox. The error is always the same 0x800CCC0F The connection to the server was interrupted.

I have tried this at home, at work and on a 3 MyFi dongle and nothing seems to help.

I've seen some posts that say it needs to be passed to a moderator to check the settings on his account, but haven't seen a way that this can be done without post a question - Hence this question.

I've also tried the Microsoft System File Checker, tried 4 different Profiles and nothing seems to work.

He has been on the phone with BT and Microsoft (for over 4 hours between them), and they both blame the other, which is another thing I have picked up from the forums happens a lot when this problem is encountered.

Any ideas???????

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Cannot send from Outlook 365 Using BT Yahoo Mail Account

The servers should be mail.btinternet.com for both incoming and outgoing, don't let the wizard set up the account, do it manually.

0 Ratings
jonnohudski
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Thank you licquorice, I did start there 2 days ago and have gone around in circles since then.

Some forums suggest the addresses are different depending whether it is a BT Account or a BY Yahoo account.

Anyhow, the change has not worked. I am still using the same ports as stated in the original question, although some posts suggest using port 25 for sending. As this is unsecured, i am loathe to do it, but tried anyway with no success. Now changed back.

At least i don't now get an error, it just sits there trying to send. 

0 Ratings
jonnohudski
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Alas, the error has come back . 0x800CCC0F again.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

The settings are exactly the same regardless of whether BTMail or BTYahoo mail, this is deliberate as it provides a constant setting regardless of current or future suppliers of the email service.

As a test, to completely rule out Outlook 2016, you could try downloading and configuring a free email client or the built in W10 mail app. There are sometimes problems with the passwords synchronising between webmail access and client access but, as you have succesfully configured access on a different machine, doesn't seem to be the case here.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

As the problem appears to be confined to just one machine, are you sure it isn't an anti virus problem somehow.

0 Ratings
jonnohudski
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Thank you for your help with this.

I have just got it working by changing the authentication on the outgoing server to None on port 25.

Went straight out.

So not sure what is wrong with SSL/TLS.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

It should be plain authentication but encrypted connection with SSL on port 465. Make sure you are not ticking 'Require secure password Authentication (SPA) ' in the outgoing server details.

0 Ratings
jonnohudski
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

So, I definitely don't have Require Secure Password Authentication ticked on either the main settings page or the Outgoing Server tab on more settings.

Once i switch from port 25 with NONE to port 465 with SSL/TLS, it stops working and the error message comes back when trying to send.

I do have My Outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication ticked.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Hmm, they are the correct settings. Definitely looks like an SSL problem on that machine somehow.

0 Ratings