cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Cannot to emails in 3rd party email apps

Go to solution

Hello. I,m having difficulty replying to emails using 3rd party apps like Windows mail on my desktop and Apple mail on my phone. I'm getting an error message "Cannot Send Mail" "The connection to the outgoing server 'mail.btinternet.com' failed. Additional Outgoing Mail Servers can be configured for Mail accounts in Settings > Mail > Accounts."

Please note that I can reply to emails using BT Webmail and the BT email app.

Anyone else experienced this issue? This has only been happening for about a week.

Thanks, Mike

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Cannot to emails in 3rd party email apps

Go to solution

Are you a BT Broadband customer or paying for your email through a BT Premium email account.

If neither of the above your email account will have been downgraded to the BTMail basic account which can only be used via webmail and not with email clients/apps

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Hello.

I confirm that I have been a BT Broadband customer for many years but do not to my knowledge have a premium account. I am not paying for premium so I presume I have a basic account. This inability to reply is a recent occurrence across all my devices and I'm wondering what has changed. 

Thanks, Mike

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

If you are a BT Broadband customer and your email is part of that broadband account, you will have the BTMail standard product and not the BTMail basic product.

See link

BT Email products | Types of BT Emails | BT Help

With regards to your problem, can you log onto your MyBT and go to "Your Products" then "Email, manage" and go to your email account. At the top of the page it will state what type of email account you have.

Have you checked that your email clients/app have the correct email setting as per this link

What are the settings for outgoing and incoming BT Email servers? | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Hi

email account is Standard.

These are the account settings in Windows Mail

Incoming settings are mail.btinternet.com:993:1

Outgoing settings are mail.btinternet.com:465:1

Outgoing server requires authentication is TICKED

Use the same user & password from sending email is TICKED

Require SSL for incoming email is TICKED

Require SSL for outgoing email is TICKED

Thanks, Mike

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Can you send using 3/4g on your mobile phone?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Hi

Switched WiFi off and tried 4G.

No. Same cannot send message.

Thanks, Mike

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

This probably won't make any difference but could you try restarting your phone and try again on 3/4g and then with your wireless connection.

Does the not sending happen when you use the reply to function or when you send a new email or both?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Hi

Switched phone off and on and tried sending by WiFi and 4G but still cannot send.

The problem is only replying to emails. New emails are sent without a problem.

Thanks, Mike

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

I think there was a similar post a while back but as yet I have not been able to find it.

In any event if I recall correctly it was resolved with moderator intervention so with that in mind I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are very busy at present so it can take up to 48 hours for them to contact you. They will do this by posting on this thread.

0 Ratings