Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Simsi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Cant Send email

Go to solution

Hi Guys

I know this one has been done to death in previous posts however the solutions dont seem to be working at all.

My client has Outlook 2007 running on windows 10 with a btinternet.com address, 

It was working fine for a couple of weeks and now she cant send any emails at all, however mail is recieved fine.

I have looked over all of the settings - and made sure they match the official ones provided by BT.

I have also tried the old port 25 with no SSL - again no luck.

She has an iphone whereby her mail works fine both in and out.

As a test i have tried adding her account to outlook 2010 and 2013 (on windows 8.1) both of which have the same problem. 

BT customer services was as helpful as expected, "we dont support outlook" when asked if there were any known problems with the smtp server or any other known issues it was just "huh"

I have been looking over this for hours now so thought its time to ask for help. haha. 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Cant Send email

Go to solution

This seems to be a problem after upgrading to Windows 10. Have you tried opening a command prompt as administrator and running:

sfc /scannow

This has worked for some posters on the forum.

The correct settings are here

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/346,6588,6591

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

@Simsi wrote:

Hi Guys

I know this one has been done to death in previous posts however the solutions dont seem to be working at all.

My client has Outlook 2007 running on windows 10 with a btinternet.com address, 

It was working fine for a couple of weeks and now she cant send any emails at all, however mail is recieved fine.

I have looked over all of the settings - and made sure they match the official ones provided by BT.

I have also tried the old port 25 with no SSL - again no luck.

She has an iphone whereby her mail works fine both in and out.

As a test i have tried adding her account to outlook 2010 and 2013 (on windows 8.1) both of which have the same problem. 

BT customer services was as helpful as expected, "we dont support outlook" when asked if there were any known problems with the smtp server or any other known issues it was just "huh"

I have been looking over this for hours now so thought its time to ask for help. haha. 

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Do you have any error messages ?

The fact that you tried to add the account to Outlook on windows 8.1 seems to negate the issue with windows 10 that some users are seeing. (Apologies in advance - but I assume that the setup was correct, it can be easy to get an item wrong).

@In the Outlook properties/account settings - in the Logon information, the Username is typically the bit before the @, but can include btinternet.com - it can, however, be @btopenworld.com

It's worth changing that item to see if it helps. It has in the past.

0 Ratings
Simsi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick response guys,

sfc /scannow didnt change anything, on windows 10 and windows 8.1

I have just tried changing to @btopenworld.com which made no difference either, it now just hangs while trying to send, no errors seem to be given after 30 minutes. 

I should say that its not outlook itself that has crashed, as i can still send and recieve mail from other accouts while this one is waiting. 

Another thing i found a little strange is when testing the settings in outlook the send test works fine, it sends the email without hesitation and it is recieved a few seconds later???

0 Ratings
Simsi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Quick update with strange goings on.

After the last test i left the account connected to my own copy of outlook 2010 to run some further tests.

Once a test email was sent from the btinternet account (or at least stuck in the outbox) it prevented me from sending any other mail from my other accounts.

I had to remove the btinternet.com account and restart outlook in safe mode in order to send anything at all. very strange.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

@Simsi wrote:

Quick update with strange goings on.

After the last test i left the account connected to my own copy of outlook 2010 to run some further tests.

Once a test email was sent from the btinternet account (or at least stuck in the outbox) it prevented me from sending any other mail from my other accounts.

I had to remove the btinternet.com account and restart outlook in safe mode in order to send anything at all. very strange.

Hi.

For the sending ... if there is an email stuck in the Outbox, it will usually prevent any future emails being sent until either that email is sent or is simply deleted from the Outbox.

If all of the settings are correct in the account (including no spaces in server names, email address names - even at the end of beginning), then it points at a possible account corruption on the server.

However, over the years there are very few cases of account corruption on the server lasting more than a few days. I have seen many cases where the account setup is not quite correct. It is so easy to misspell the username, using upper case i for l, 0 and O etc - though these usually result in error messages.

I have helped many folk after then send me screen prints of their various setup screens. If you don't mind doing this, then send me private messages (PMs) of these screens from the Outlook setup and I'll investigate. The password is already starred out so that's fine.

0 Ratings
Simsi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Hi Andy

Thank you for the offer of looking at the settings for me.

I had been looking over it once more as its bugging me like mad.

I have taken out the @brinternet.com in the username and it seems to be working on my end.

I will try this on the client computer and let you know. 

Failing that i will send over the screenshots asap. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

@Simsi wrote:

Hi Andy

Thank you for the offer of looking at the settings for me.

I had been looking over it once more as its bugging me like mad.

@I have taken out the @brinternet.com in the username and it seems to be working on my end.

I will try this on the client computer and let you know. 

Failing that i will send over the screenshots asap. 

Ahh - excellent, and fingers crossed that's the issue in this case.

@The username field is a weird one, as some people have the full email address in - others just the "stub" bit before the @. Over the years it has been one of those things to just try. I've not really worked out why it affects some people and not others.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

See the following for the settings that I have used. on various @btinternet accounts.

POP3

Server incoming and out going: mail.btinternet.com

Email user name: (Normally you only need the prefix of your email address but some users have found the need to enter their full email address.ie xxxxx@btinternet.com)

Password: Your BT email password.

Log on using clear text authentication

Out Going Server in requires Authentication (Use same as incoming mail server. Some users have found that they need to enter the password and username instead of ticking box “use same as incoming mail server” )

Outgoing Port : 465 SSL security

Incoming Port : 995 SSL security

IMAP

Same as above except for Incoming Port: 993 SSL security

I have just set up a new account on Outlook using the following settings and it works OK.

Your Name

Email address: Full btinternet email address

Account type: IMAP or (POP)

Incoming server: mail.btinternet.com  

Outgoing server: mail.btinternet.com

Logon information:

User name: prefix only of email address

Password: Email password

Tick remember password

Do not tick Require password auth (SPA)

Click Button More settings

Tick box my out going server requires authentication

Tick box use same as incoming

Do not tick log onto incoming server

Advanced Button

Incoming server 993 or (POP 995) Tick requires SSL

Outgoing server 465 Use following type encryption SSL

0 Ratings
Simsi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

HI Guys

Thank you for your help on this one, however it seems to be nothing to do with BT at all.

There is a known problem with windows 10 and outlook after the upgrade.

Please see below for the link that helped me fix it.

http://www.msoutlook.info/question/cannot-send-after-windows-10-upgrade 

Once again thank you for hte help.

0 Ratings