cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: Cant login to email when using a VPN as of 23rd Feb

Go to solution

@andyn wrote:

That makes sense, I will pay the extra to upgrade then try again.

Andy

See link about BTMail products.

BT Email products | Types of BT Emails | BT Help

Message 12 of 20

Go to solution

Tried to upgrade email today no joy, BT person was helpful but said I could not upgrade my name@btinternet.com from basic to the full version even though I had previously been told that was possible. 

So tried to login using BT App (on my Android device) using my name@btconnect.com email using BT App "domain cannot be used as account" was the error message. I also have a business account and this its email address.

So how do I access either of my email accounts (I am not worried which as I can forward emails from one to the other)NOT using a  web interface. I was advised Bluemail or aquamail would work OK but neither works. I use 993 for IMAP and 465 for SMTP.

I am lost.

Andy

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 20

Go to solution

Not sure why you were told you couldn't upgrade to premium mail. Try the premium mail team 0808 100 6778 - Monday to Friday 9am to 9pm, Saturday and Sunday 9am to 6pm

As far as I'm aware, btconnect addresses are only available as POP3 not IMAP

Settings are here 

Message 14 of 20

Go to solution

To upgrade from BTMail Basic to BT Premium Email did you call the BT Premium Email team on 0808 100 6778?

As far as I am aware the @btconnect.com email accounts do not work on the BTMail app.

Bluemail and Aquamail both work with @btinternet.com email accounts. Are you using the server and settings as per this link.

What are the settings for outgoing and incoming BT Email servers? | BT Help

If it is not working, at which point does it not work and what if any error message are you getting?

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution

Just spoke to email team, who were most helpful, and they will upgrade my basic email name@btinternet.com so that I can access it using BT App or another App. I understand I need a full email account to use BT App etc.

Thanks guys.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution

I wouldn't recommend using the BT mail app, it is dire. Blue Mail or Aqua mail are preferable.

Yes, you can only use mail apps with a standard (BT broadband customer) or Premium mail account.

Message 17 of 20

Go to solution

My understanding is that I need the full email service to use an App (OK so not BT's App) on my Android phone - and thats fine by me.

Andy

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 20

Go to solution

I am a full (domestic) user of BT Services, including email and broadband. I also use Nord VPN. BT (and only BT) has always excluded me from logging on e-mail via BT Mail if my VPN is enabled, on my phone or PC. (I normally link to a UK based Nord VPN server). I use  Blue Mail on my Android mobile phone. As soon as I am logged in to the Mail server, and re-apply my VPN services, my link through to BT Mail continues, although I note that if I stay logged in for a matter of days I can then be cut-off again, if my VPN is maintained. I suspect that happens during an automatic re-validation.  I get the same issue on my mobile phone when using both Gmail and BT Mail (which I keep as back-ups) to access my BT mailbox.  As it is the logging on process which exposes my user name and password this is something I would particularly like to protect using a VPN, and it is this which BT Mail Sever is exposing by its non-acceptance of a VPN as an access point. Nord VPN has a very good reputation and if BT is blocking its servers it is doing so without basis.

On my PC, so far, I have found that Thunderbird is not locked out of the BT Mail server, even when my VPN is active - I suspect that Thunderbird accepts Nord VPN as legitimate, and the BT Mail server accepts Thunderbird. This doesn't seem to apply in the mobile sphere. 

As VPN usage increases (for a variety of reasons, not least for security) I don't think BT Mail's dislike of VPNs is really sustainable. It would be a good if a BT Mail expert could comment. I appreciate the help gained from non-BT official people's advice, but this seems a policy issue outwith their 'work-around' expertise.

The message I get from BT (on a PC) when I try to log in with VPN enabled is - Sorry we couldn't connect you. If you continue to experience issues, Please contact BT and quote Error Code: TS-0003. Details to Contact BT

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution

Update to the above - it seems that it is the UK Nord VPN servers that BT is blocking - I can access everything normally going through Nord VPN Servers based in another country - until, I'm sure, BT blocks those - which is why I'm not disclosing which country I can access BT services via Nord VPN. Oh, and the link to 'Contact'  (Statement from BT) I showed above doesn't actually work if you are still on the VPN! - So little use there. 

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 20

Go to solution

If you are logging in to mail using ports 465 and 993, your username and password will not be exposed, they will be encrypted.

0 Ratings