Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
PeteInclusion
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Cant send or receive emails

Hi,

I am unable to send or receive emails on my Outlook a/c all I got was an error message. The e-mail address is correct as is user name and password as I am able to access my btinternet.com emails via webmail. I have also disabled my secuirty software but still nothing. 

I took my laptop to my very helpful local computer shop they tried my a/c on their machines but it were still not able to access it, so clearly it is not a problem with my laptop. Therefore it must be something to do with BT. 

I am a small business owner and so this is really really bad news for me. Can someone please help? I tried calling BT but that was no help whatsoever. Thanks !

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
edwardblack
Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: Cant send or receive emails

There are a number of threads on this topic. This is one

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Unable-to-log-onto-server-using-outlook-but-same-username-and/td-p...

Generally the problem "just clears" after a few hours or a day or so. See my post here for example and for another discussion of the topic

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Presently-in-US-and-unable-to-read-mail-on-IOS-devices-imap/m-p/18...

0 Ratings
PeteInclusion
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Hi Edward,
Thanks for your response.
Unfortunately for the first link I get a 'An invalid set of parameters has been specified in the url'.
0 Ratings
edwardblack
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

0 Ratings
PeteInclusion
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Hi Edward, as suggested in the second thread above, I also tried removing my email account, now I cant even reinstall it as a new a/c in Outlook, gggrrrrr. Any other ideas please ?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

As a business user, I'm surprised you use a consumer grade email system with no guarantee of service. You would be better served with a business account with a proper SLA

0 Ratings
edwardblack
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

@PeteInclusionwrote:
Hi Edward, as suggested in the second thread above, I also tried removing my email account, now I cant even reinstall it as a new a/c in Outlook, gggrrrrr. Any other ideas please ?

When "things reset themselves" following the "just do nothing approach" you will be able to reinstall the account on Outlook. Until then the only route that I am aware of is to use Webmail for current emails until the server resets itself. If you look at messages 28 and 29 posted by me and bt Squeaker you will see that we both had this problem yeterday and access for both of us came back on a similar timescale.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 13

@PeteInclusionwrote:

Hi.

The issue you've described above has been seen due to access being locked out due to use by other devices. Do you use a smartphone or tablet to access your emails as well, and do these auto-check?

If so - stop them from auto-checking, then try to re-add.

The advice is to never change any settings, never delete or re-add accounts either via PC or app/client - this is especially the case when webmail works and the account was working up until recently.

0 Ratings
PeteInclusion
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

I followed the 'just do nothing' approach and sure enough it rectified itself the next day, so thanks for the advice, however, a week later the same thing has happened again! Ssoooooo frustrating. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

See message 6

0 Ratings