Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JimD
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Change of password

Go to solution

As requested I have changed my password for my BT Yahoo e-mail account.  I have then deleted the old accounts on  my iPhone and iPad and replaced them with accounts using the  new password.  Everything fine so far: new accounts verified and download incoming e-mails on the client.  

But if I try to send from the new accounts on either device I get an error message: either the password or the user name is wrong they say.  Message doesn't send.  Anyone else had this issue or (better!) explain it ot (better yet) know how to fix it.

I realise this is a matter for Apple also, but it seems to me BT that started the process.

Any help gratefully received.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Change of password

Go to solution

You should make sure the settings on the phone and ipad are correct.

See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/346,6588,6591

When you change your BT password on an iPad it may only change for "incoming" email.

To change the "outgoing" email password you have to go into Settings; then scroll down to Mail, Contacts, Calendars. 

From there select the BTinternet account and select the account where it is listed under IMAP.  

You will find the details for the account and can change the password for the Incoming Mail Server there, but the outgoing mail server shows SMTP and mail.btinternet.com

If you tap on the outgoing mail server it still shows very little detail and that it is 'on'.  You have to tap on that Primary Server in order to find where the Outgoing password is hidden so you can update it. 

JimD
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks: seems to have worked so far as I can judge!  Needless to say the probability of my finding that for myself was vanishingly small.  Can I ask: am I likely to have similar issues with my other e-mail accounts with Outlook.com and using Outlook 365 as a client (to the extent that I understand these things)?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

No, it seems to be an Apple foible using the Apple email client.

0 Ratings