Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 28

Changes to BT Yahoo Account Management

If you still are a BT Yahoo Mail User then you need to be aware of this :

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57345

Note this is accurate if you are using the latest version of BT Yahoo Mail.

If you are using the basic version things are a little different.

27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 28

Re: Changes to BT Yahoo Account Management

Thanks for that.

It would appear BTYahoo account management is being brought into line with BTMail account management. Hopefully it will help all the problems of syncing the various password databases that has been causing confusion and mayhem.

Of course it would have been nice if BT had emailed those with BTYahoo accounts to tell us of the change, but that would mean changing the habits of a lifetime and keeping the customer informed!!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 28

Can we have some clarification of my understanding of how this should all work. I have made a few tests and come to the following conclusions.

As account holder I have to first claim an address and link it to my BTID before I can gift it to someone else.

BTID and email password need not necessarily be the same.

Logging in to MyBT with BTID and password allows access to favourite email address without having to enter email password.

Logging in to email via https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform requires email password rather than BTID password.

BTID and email passwords can be changed independantly.

Logging in to email via MyBT is supposed to open favourite email address but have drop down list of other email accounts associated with that BTID, this does not appear to be the case, I can find no drop down list of accounts.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 28

I don't see how it helps sync any password databases, since my Yahoo email and BT ID have completely different passwords.  Even the rules for what passwords you can use for the two different systems aren't compatible (Yahoo only allows letters and numbers, no puctuation).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 28

OK, that was a bit unexpected.

I just tried going to the manage emails page, and one of the options I was offered was to add my email to my BT ID.  I was foolhardy enough to try it.  So now it seems that my email password is now the same as my BT ID password - despite what I said previously about Yahoo not accepting punctuation marks in passwords.

I'm not sure what would happen if I tried to claim all my secondary accounts that way.  Do they all end up with the same password?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 28

@Ectophile wrote:

OK, that was a bit unexpected.

I just tried going to the manage emails page, and one of the options I was offered was to add my email to my BT ID.  I was foolhardy enough to try it.  So now it seems that my email password is now the same as my BT ID password - despite what I said previously about Yahoo not accepting punctuation marks in passwords.

I'm not sure what would happen if I tried to claim all my secondary accounts that way.  Do they all end up with the same password?

I don't believe it is the same. As posted previously, I believe you can access any mail account associated with your BTID from MyBT without using the email password, just BTID password, but if accessing directly, the email password must be used.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 28

I don't know if what BT are doing to the BTYahoo email accounts is to allow users to managed them in the same way as the BTMail accounts are but if it is, this may help you, but please keep in mind it's been a while since I was migrated to BTMail and went trough the migration process setting up the accounts so this might not be 100% accurate.

Leaving aside any security concerns, it is advisable to make your BTID and password the same as your BT email address and password. 

When you set up your Primary BTID all the email address that you have that are listed under your Primary email account, ie all the sub-accounts and the Primary email account are accessible through your MyBT > manage extras > Manage BT Mail.

You will be able to access all these email accounts with out further logging on by clicking on the "Go to Inbox" button.

In the Primary email account you should have a drop down box at the email address that lets you use any of these addresses to send email. 

To stop this happening you need to "gift" the accounts that you want to be "stand alone" This will turn the "gifted account" into an "affiliated" account.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44858/c/7339/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDg3NDU1OTM5L3Np...

Who ever you gift it to has to set up a BTID when they first log into the email. By doing this they then become responsible for that email account and can change the password without the Primary holder being involved.

The Primary email account holder no longer has access to it or control over it. The only exception to that is the Primary account holder can delete it. 

See links for further info.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44363/~/managing-your-bt-mail-account

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 28

I really don't know what the hell they are doing with BTYahoo mail. I've just done some further tests and getting conflicting results.

As stated previously, with an existing account, BTID and email passwords are independant but logging in to MyBt allows access to email without using email password.

I have just created a test account and gifted it and created a new BTID for it. Changing the password on that account's email also changes its BTID password!!

I have yet to try changing the email password on my primary account to see if that also changes the BTID password. I may pluck up the courage to do that tomorrow.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 28

@licquorice wrote:

I really don't know what the hell they are doing with BTYahoo mail. I've just done some further tests and getting conflicting results.

As stated previously, with an existing account, BTID and email passwords are independant but logging in to MyBt allows access to email without using email password. If the BTID you are using is the Primary account holders, it gives access to all the email accounts that are associated with the Primary account even if the email accounts have different passwords. To stop that you have to gift the email accounts and set up a separate BTID for each of them.

I have just created a test account and gifted it and created a new BTID for it. Changing the password on that account's email also changes its BTID password!! BT would appear to want you to have only one user name and password for all their services which means if you change the password it changes it across all the services. You should no longer be able to access that email account via the Primary BTID

I have yet to try changing the email password on my primary account to see if that also changes the BTID password. I may pluck up the courage to do that tomorrow.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 28

Ok, carried out some more testing. Created 2 new email addresses, created a BTID for one of them and gifted both to that BTID. Either address can be made 'favourite' and clicking on the 'go to inbox' button opens the inbox of the favourite but there is no drop down selection to select the other account.

In the manage emails screen of MyBT, only the addresses that are not a BTID have a link to change the email password, changing this password has no effect on the BTID password or the email password of the address used for BTID. In order to change the password though, it is necessary to enter the email address and password of the BTID address.

To change the email password and BTID password of the linked address, you need to open the mail inbox and then click on account settings and change the password. This changes both passwords.

This is all done to make things simpler allegedly!!!!

0 Ratings