cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 47

Re: Changes to email T&C removing unused but paid for accounts.

I've just had the email mentioned by the OP. It says and repeats, "From 17 June this year, you'll need to log in to your email account at least once every 150 days. If you don't, we'll presume you don't use your email account anymore and we'll close it." That seems clear enough, but like FFJ I'm sceptical as to why the help page (and more importantly the revised T&C) qualify it with "and use it". I'll ask the mods.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Sylver123
Expert
Message 12 of 47

I have also just received the email about this change in my inbox.

Hopefully by checking your email via a email client is enough to

qualify as a log in, your using the email address.

I don't really use / log into the web based BT Yahoo! Mail

often because I use windows email client Windows Mail

instead to receive and send my mail.

The only time I ever log into the web based BT Yahoo!

Mail is if needing to check my spam folders or to empty /

clean the email folders or change my email settings.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 47

The email from BT does specifically say:

Make sure you use your email at least once every 150 days by logging on at bt.yahoo.com or using your computer email software (like Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird).

So downloading your email using a client on your PC does count.

0 Ratings
Numb3r6
Contributor
Message 14 of 47

Apols for new thread elsewhere, but I too am unhappy with the stance here. In summary I use other, unpaid services that manage to send a polite reminder, so don't care for the BT wording which is a little draconian, for a paid service! My argument is that if BT can detect lack of usage, then surely it's not difficult to issue a courtesy note to the the customer's master account, no? Not very customer focused email blitz if you ask me.
Guru
Message 15 of 47

Normally any changes to any T&C (price increase in particular) are sent to the main BT e-mail and as such BT will have deemed to give you the statuary notice.

If you do not use the this e-mail and it is closed, then presumably we can't be notified of any price increases by e-mail as not all BT customers will have a BT e-mail account?

Stew

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 47

Good point Stew. The mods are already looking for answers to a couple of details; I'll ask them to include this.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 17 of 47

I have received several e-mails today, one for each e-mail account I have. I have the main BT e-mail and I have created several others.

Do I need to use each of these accounts one every 150 days or if I use the main BT e-mail account will it keep alive all the sub email accounts?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 47

you need to use each one as they are individual accounts with own btinternet address and password hence the emails to each one.  you could always forward an email from one to the other to the other etc  every 150 days

I have had same as you with emails to eavh of my sub accounts

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 19 of 47

Thought as much. I suppose in 150 days they all should get used.
0 Ratings
tansycat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 47

What about the two interchangable email addresses for my primary account (ie. username@btinternet.com and username@btopenworld.com)? These both belong to the same email account with the same login details. Will I lose one of these?

I don't know who is using which version so it would be an enormous time-consuming job to try to get them all changed - and thye thought of having to change to a new email address on all my contacts and subscriptions is one of the main reasons I stay with BT!

Also what about all the disposable @yahoo.co.uk addresses that I've set up over the years? Will I lose all these as well? Some of them are for subscriptions and are only used occasionally (eg annual renewals).