cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 47

Re: Changes to email T&C removing unused but paid for accounts.

the two addresses are for the same account and if you notice emails were only sent to btinternet addresses so keeping email account open will apply to both.  disposable accounts are not btinternet accounts and there is no mention of these accounts being deleted

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 22 of 47

Disposable addresses are, however, tied to another account, so I assume that they'll disappear along with the account they're associated with?
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 23 of 47

@imjolly wrote:

the two addresses are for the same account and if you notice emails were only sent to btinternet addresses so keeping email account open will apply to both.  disposable accounts are not btinternet accounts and there is no mention of these accounts being deleted

I received several e-mails one of which was addressed to one of my Yahoo adresses.

0 Ratings
Communicat-or1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 47

I don`t see how you can stop them whatever you think.  The really alarming thing is that if you missed the message for any reason, i.e. illness or absence, you would have no idea it was coming. It makes me realise that you need to make hardcopies of your important emails, and/or back them up of course.  They are no substitute, in the last resort, for the old fashioned address book and telephone list ! 

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 25 of 47

@Communicat-or1 wrote:

I don`t see how you can stop them whatever you think.  The really alarming thing is that if you missed the message for any reason, i.e. illness or absence, you would have no idea it was coming. It makes me realise that you need to make hardcopies of your important emails, and/or back them up of course.  They are no substitute, in the last resort, for the old fashioned address book and telephone list ! 

Which of course is what you would do with "the old fashioned address book and telephone list".

I suppose I can understand the reasons why they wish to delete old unused e-mail addresses, but in usual BT fashion they have made the process over complicated and confusing.

0 Ratings
tansycat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 47

BT sent me a separate new terms email to both the username@btinternet.com and username@btopenworld.com address. These are both active but are part of the same account. The disposable yahoo addresses are linked to this same account.

I think the least BT could do is send out a reminder to the primary address before cancelling any of the email accounts to give us chance to remember to log in. I'm paying for them, after all!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 27 of 47

@pottyperson wrote:

Good point Stew. The mods are already looking for answers to a couple of details; I'll ask them to include this.

I wonder if using something like mailwasher or say k9 for android counts. These clients are effectively only a simple visual into the inbox, and not really a login in the usual manner.

0 Ratings
casually
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 47

Can the terms of an existing period contract be changed ?

Surely with these planned changes BT is in breach of contract.

I should therefore be able to cancel my contract without incurring any fees.

It must be said that this whole episode shows that BT is wholly inept as a 'leading ISP provider heading into the future'

--- flexibility for all is my ideal ---
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 29 of 47

Welcome to the forum. If BT make a change to the T&C which is to your material disadvantage you have the right to cancel any minimum term contract by giving notice within 10 days of receiving the formal notification. The key phrase here is "your material disadvantage", and frankly it's difficult to see how the closure of an unused email account falls within that definition, particularly as you can easily prevent it just by logging in.

Having said that, I thought I saw something recently which said that this change does give the right of cancellation, but I can't find it and may be confusing it with something else. [Edit: I was; see below.] It's certainly not stated in the formal notification email as usual (eg when there is a price increase). 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 47

Hi Pottyperson, I think it might be this link you were thinking of. It is about paper billing and the changes to that. It clearly states that because of a change to the Terms & Conditions you do have a right to cancell so you would think that you would have the same right here. The get out for BT seems to be that it must be done within ten days of your receiving notification.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44027/kw/paper%20free/c/761,2072,2098