Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 43

Changing from IMAP to POP3 email account

Go to solution

A while ago after I had changed from BT Yahoo Mail to BT Mail I was having problems using Outlook 2007 as my email client. 

Eventually I deleted the two Outlook accounts I had and started again from scratch. After creating the accounts again they appeared as IMAP accounts. I have stuck with them up to now but don't like them and would like to switch back to POP3.

I have read that I can create a new POP3 account and import the folders from IMAP to POP3. When I created the new account I didn't get the option to choose POP3 and the new account appeared as IMAP.

What do I need to do to get my POP3 email accounts back? Is it even possible to do that?

Any advice gratefully accepted. 

0 Ratings
42 REPLIES 42
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 43

Re: Changing from IMAP to POP3 email account

Go to solution

When you set up the account, do it manually.  Once you have entered your name, email address and password click the box Manually configure server settings etc.

This will bring up another screen, select connect to POP or IMAP server, clcik next and you will get a screen giving you the option to set up IMAP or POP.

The settings you need are here

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917

0 Ratings
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 43

Go to solution

Thanks for that gg30340. I'll give it a go.

0 Ratings
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 43

Go to solution

I have created the two new accounts as POP3. Do I now remove the IMAP accounts and will the folders remain?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 43

Go to solution

If you have a look at this link it will save having to try and explain it.

http://www.msoutlook.info/question/705

0 Ratings
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 43

Go to solution

I have completed the necessary steps to create the POP3 account but when I select "test account settings" it hangs for a while then I get this message:-

"Send test e-mail message: The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)."

Clearly I must be doing somthing wrong. The settings I'm using are Incoming Server 965; Outgoing 465.

If I try to send an email to myself it just stays in the outbox until Outlook gives up.

Any suggestions where I'm going wrong please? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 43

Go to solution

@George99 wrote:

I have completed the necessary steps to create the POP3 account but when I select "test account settings" it hangs for a while then I get this message:-

"Send test e-mail message: The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)."

Clearly I must be doing somthing wrong. The settings I'm using are Incoming Server 965; Outgoing 465.

If I try to send an email to myself it just stays in the outbox until Outlook gives up.

Any suggestions where I'm going wrong please? 

Seem to remember this problem.

In the "more settings" box at the top RHS, have you ticked the box "My outgoing server SMTP requires authentication"?

It's easily missed.

There's another setting to tick just below, to the effect "use same settings for incoming and outgoing".

Good luck.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 43

Go to solution

The incoming server setting is 995 for POP 3

0 Ratings
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 43

Go to solution

Thanks for the two posts above.

Expert, I do have both those items you mention ticked. I also received an email from the forum saying your post had been posted.

gg30340. My earlier post contained a typo. I am using 995 as the incoming server setting. I haven't received an email for your post yet gg. It's now 11.04. 

I have just tried to send myself a test message and it's stuck in the outbox.

These are my settings:-

General tab:- Just my email address in the name box.

In the Outgoing Server tab:- I've ticked, My Outgoing Server (SMTP) requires authorisation. Also ticked is "Use same settings as my incoming server. (Should that be ticked?) 

Connection tab:- Ticked Connect using my LAN

Advanced tab:- Incoming server POP3; 995.

Ticked - this server needs an encrypted connection SSL; 

Outgoing server (SMTP), 465; 

Use the following type of encryption - None.

Are the any mistakes in any of those?

The test message is still stuck in the outbox. However, I have just received an email to the POP3 account from a relative.

Obviously something is wrong somewhere but where?? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 43

Go to solution

@George99 wrote:

Thanks for the two posts above.

Expert, I do have both those items you mention ticked. I also received an email from the forum saying your post had been posted.

gg30340. My earlier post contained a typo. I am using 995 as the incoming server setting. I haven't received an email for your post yet gg. It's now 11.04. 

I have just tried to send myself a test message and it's stuck in the outbox.

These are my settings:-

General tab:- Just my email address in the name box.

In the Outgoing Server tab:- I've ticked, My Outgoing Server (SMTP) requires authorisation. Also ticked is "Use same settings as my incoming server. (Should that be ticked?) 

Connection tab:- Ticked Connect using my LAN

Advanced tab:- Incoming server POP3; 995.

Ticked - this server needs an encrypted connection SSL; 

Outgoing server (SMTP), 465; 

Use the following type of encryption - None. Should be SSL

Are the any mistakes in any of those?

The test message is still stuck in the outbox. However, I have just received an email to the POP3 account from a relative.

Obviously something is wrong somewhere but where?? 

You need to select SSL for the outgoing server

0 Ratings