Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deejay
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Changing password on primary email accounts

Afternoon all

I want to change the email password on my primary @btinternet account.

If I log in to My BT and go to 'manage your email addresses',  all the secondary addresses show a change password option, but the primary address only shows 'delete' or 'make favourite'.

Any suggestions will be welcome.

Cheers

Dave

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Changing password on primary email accounts

Hi @deejay,

This usually means that your BT ID and email password are the same. To change the email password you need to change the BT ID password.

See: How can I change my BT ID password for My BT?

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

Welcome to the crazy world of BT passwords!!!

0 Ratings
deejay
Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Thanks Daniel forr the quick reply.

You are right, my MYBT password is the same as the one on my primary mail account.

If I change the MYBT password, will that change the primary email password to the same new password?

This will not affect any of the secondary addresses will it?

I've had big problems in the past with email passwordsSmiley Frustrated

Cheers

Dave

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Hi @deejay,

Thanks for posting back!

You're right, changing your BTID password will align the two and won't have any affect on your secondary @btinternet mailboxes Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
deejay
Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Thanks Robbie

I was considering changing it due to a possibility that the account had been compromised. I don't think it has, so I'll have a mooch around the forum to see if I can find a solution. If I can't, I'll start a new post.

Cheers

Dave

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 14

@deejaywrote:

Thanks Robbie

I was considering changing it due to a possibility that the account had been compromised. I don't think it has, so I'll have a mooch around the forum to see if I can find a solution. If I can't, I'll start a new post.

Cheers

Dave

Just to be aware, sometimes they don't sync properly - and if you use other devices, best to stop those other devices from auto-checking emails. Wait at least 15 minutes before trying the other devices, and then try one at a time changing each password.

I personally don't agree with the BTID and "primary" email address password being altered at the same time.

It has caused issues for some (but I can see why it's done to make it potentially simpler).

New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 14

Hi,

Why do you think your primary email which is also the BTID has been compromised?

You have to take this seriously if it has as then you have to change all your secondary email passwords also as through the BTID password which is the same as yiur primary email, someone can access all the email accounts by changing "Make Favourite".  Along with email accounts, they can also access your billing details on MyBT.

0 Ratings
deejay
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Afternoon all

I replied earlier but an 'unknown error' appears to have stopped my post arriving.

I started to receive emails allegedley from retailers like Boots, Sainsburys and so on, offering rewards or offers. The rmails  were obviously spam.

I use Mailwasher to download all my emails and these suspect ones showed my email address in brackets after the name of the sender. It would appear that the sender of this spam has set up the software to show the target of the email my address as being the sender.

I've now solved this particular problem with a filter in MW.

I'll keep an eye on it and have a look to see if BT are interested.

Cheers

Dave

0 Ratings
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 14

Just be wary of using services like Mailwasher as you are providing them your username/password and access to all your data. Also you have no idea of where and how the data is held and what the T&C's allow them to do with your data - most times they have a very weak statement of a policy giving them free reign.

0 Ratings