Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
joolzzt
Message 1 of 5

Changing primary email

Go to solution

When you change your primary email address does BT automatically forward email to the new account if it was sent to your previous primary address?

ie If I'm changing my name from Jane Smith to Jane Jones will I still receive email sent to me as Jane Jones? Or do I need to run two email addresses until Jane Smith gets no more email?

I've Googled and checked the forum but can't find this out.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Changing primary email

Go to solution

Email addresses are unique. Mail sent to Jane Smith arrives at Jane Smith's Inbox, mail addressed to Jane Jones arrives at Jane Jones' inbox. Jane Smith cannot become Jane Jones.

As far as Primary email address is concerned, it is just an address that BT uses to contact you on and you can change it. It has nothing to do with receiving general email.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

As well as the previous message about not being able to change the name of an email address if you are wanting to change the email address that BT contact you on see this link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12552/~/how-can-i-change-my-bt-contact-details-in-my-...

0 Ratings
joolzzt
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for the info but I know how to change how BT contacts me as I searched the forum for help before posting. That isn't really the answer to my question so it shouldn't be marked as solved yet.

IT systems often have a key that is a unique identifier for an account. That key can be used regardless of an attribute such as an email address or name. If BT use that standard method then it would be simple to ensure that email from the original primary account was transferred to the new one using the key.

If you are saying BT doesn't do this and that you can't continue to get email from a previous primary account u less it is active, then presumably I will have to set up the secondary email address I mentioned and run two accounts until there has been no mail on the primary address for a few months and only then delete the original account?

Is that the case?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Sorry, I'm entirely unclear as to what you are asking.  An email address is an email address, it may also be used as an account identifier but that is a completely separate thing to pure email. If you wish, you can always forward mail from one email address to another in your webmail settings until people stop sending to your old address in the meantime before  you can get them to change their address books for your new address.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure why you feel the need to change your email address at all, it is just a string of characters that are used to contact you with after all. The chances are that the email address you would like to change to has already been taken in any case.

0 Ratings