cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jay-Tanna
Contributor
Message 261 of 342

Re: Charging for Talk21 email addresses, money grabbing or technically incompetent?

I managed to speak to somebody and he told me that the charge will be cancelled.  I told him that is very good indeed but I also wanted to close this account completely so that these things don't happen ever again.  He tried his level best to convince me to open another account but I told him in no uncertain terms that I do not want another account now because BT's systems are not reliable and charges will keep coming every other month.

Anyway he closed the account but I can still use my Talk21.com email account.  I don't know what will happen in 12 months time.  I will never ever give them my bank details again.  I can't trust BT because of the c*ck ups about their systems.

0 Ratings
ralph888
Aspiring Contributor
Message 262 of 342

Re: Charging for Talk21 email addresses, money grabbing or technically incompetent?

Bakazan asked 'Are there people out there who have fully functioning talk21 accounts who made no attempt to switch?'

Yes, no difference, received all the emails from BT, did not respond, last email stated that the whole thing was called off until they can get their act together and will contact me then! 

Is Warren Buckley in charge still??

0 Ratings
jonmale
Aspiring Expert
Message 263 of 342

Yes, I gather BT are looking to postpone the removal of Talk21.com (service and accounts) next year.  I've not heard back from BT about when this will be.

I've had my Talk21 account for around 15 years, but I'm seriously thinking of moving to Outlook.com or Yahoo.

Just signed up for Outlook.com and it's excellent.  Very clean interface and smooth to get set-up (including the Android app).  Outlook.com uses a newer mail protocol (EAS) than Gmail (IMAP/POP).

0 Ratings
jonmale
Aspiring Expert
Message 264 of 342

Hello, I'm sorry if any of this has been covered already on the many many pages on this thread, but some of the following may be useful....

• On www.bt.com/newemail - in the FAQs at the bottom, there's the Question: "Will my email addresses, usernames and passwords all stay the same?"

Email addresses: When moving to the new BT Mail, your addresses will stay the same, including all your sub-accounts. Existing @btinternet.com, @btopenworld.com and @talk21.com email addresses will stay the same.

I'm trying to understand the context here.  I can't see a publication date of the page/article, but I wonder if TALK21 accounts will 'just be moved' to the new domain.  I hope I'm not being naive here, but maybe BT can see the value in keeping legacy e-mail services even if the Talk21.com domain is ditched.

• This article could give one of the reasons why BT are looking to move away from Yahoo: 

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/news/114148-bt-ditches-yahoo-mail-following-mass-hack-attack.html (more here)

• If you set-up an IMAP/POP mail account on a desktop client, eg Outlook or Thunderbird then it looks like you can just download all of your talk21 mails and folder structure and/or save them as a .PST file, or import them into a new e-mail service (eg GMAIL, Yahoo or Outlook.com - which looks fantastic).

Here's one such tutorial: http://blog.karenbryan.co.uk/2013/08/bts-closure-of-free-email-services.html

Here are the steps to take in summary:

1. 1. Set up a desktop email client to point at talk21 (using IMAP or EAS)
    2. 2. Set up a second account on the new provider (IMAP or EAS)
    3. 3. Optionally, make an “archive” folder
    4. 4. Drag and drop all the emails from the talk21 account into [the “archive” folder on] the new provider
    5. 5. Walk away and leave the email client to copy all the e-mails from one server to the other

I'm going to try this tonight.

0 Ratings
jonmale
Aspiring Expert
Message 265 of 342

Incidentally I had this reply from BT.  It doesn't fully answer the question I sent them however.

@BT wrote:
@any customer with a Basic Mail service (or @talk21.com email address) they are entitled to the Premium Mail product free of charge for 12 months.

•The product will become chargeable at the end of the 12 month period.
•The order process will therefore require you to provide us with your bank details. You must hold a UK based bank account
•No payment will be taken until the full 12 month period has expired.
•Premium Mail normally costs £1.60 per month and is payable by direct debit.
•There will be no extension of the free 12 month offer.
•If you do not wish to retain the service after the 12 month free period they will need to make alternative email arrangements and provide 28 days’ notice.
•We will remind you nearer the time that the free period is due to end
•To place the order for Premium Mail you can do this yourself online at www.bt.com/premiummail

Further advice is available from www.bt.com/talk21.com

The last link takes you to a dead page.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 266 of 342

@vofsanity2 wrote:

@gg30340 wrote:

EDIT: Vofsanity, it is part of the package that I pay for. I cannot get the package with out an email address being given to me therefore it is not an add on it is an integral part of the package and therefore paid for.

If you look at BT's Broadband T and Cs you will see that Email is not an integral part of your package but a "Value added service" that is subject to separate T and C's.  If you contact Warren Buckley's office and the ombudsman service ( as I have done) they will confirm this.  This approach by BT has several advantages from BT's point of view to the disadvantage of customers. This came as a shock to me as it should do to you as you are obviously unaware of the implications of this.

From the NEW BT Mail Terms

"

In order to retain the free BT Mail service, you and all users of e-mail addresses linked to your BT Broadband account must ensure you and they use the email addresses regularly. 

"

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 267 of 342

Well done for finding that but if you can tell me how to sign up for a new free btinternet.com email address without either being a paying BT customer or becoming a paying BT customer I still say it is paid for within my package.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
jonmale
Aspiring Expert
Message 268 of 342

Well, if you install Thunderbird (e-mail client) it'll pick up the TALK21.com/BTinternet mail servers smoothly.  If you use IMAP (instead of POP) it'll retain all the folder structure and sync all the mails happily.
You can then 'archive' any Talk21 e-mails you want to keep and import them back in to a new e-mail service (eg Outlook.com, Yahoo, Gmail) via Thunderbird.  You could also archive the e-mails as a .PST file and back up to disk/USB/Cloud.

Did this yesterday, and it pulled in all my e-mails from 2004 to current including formatting, flags and attachments wonderfully.  It didn't take long.  My e-mails from the past 10 years came to just under 700Mb.

If it comes to the crunch and if/when BT close Talk21 then this is a fairly reliable failsafe to move old e-mails.  One downside is that technically unsure people may not feel comfortable with this.  Thunderbird does make it fairly easy though (I didn't need any of the Talk21/BT internet settings, beyond my username & password).

0 Ratings
F27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 269 of 342

The last email I got from BT was the 'we will contact you again when we need to do aything' email. I presume this means I like others have been placed on this 1 year free thing because my talk21 through Yahoo is still working fine.

What I want to know is after this so called free year will I still have the option to link this address to a BT broadband account?

BT has done a terrible job here, not explaining going forward whats happening, just saying wait till we next tell you something! I don't want to find one day that they have pulled the plug and did give any warning. I never got told explicitly that I was getting a free year, I have only heard it in here.

As for this whole thing about charging.... this is the modern internet, nearly every service is free and paying for something like webmail is ludicrous. Why don't they do it the old fashioned adverts and data mining way! Had a t21 address for 12 years and suddenly its nothing but trouble.

0 Ratings
Artemis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 270 of 342

After spending ages getting BT to refund the £3.20 they took out of my bank account for what is supposed to be a free service for twelve months, I've now just been informed that they have taken another £1.60! I had been told it was all sorted out and definitely free for twelve months.

As I've said many times, it isn't paying the trivial sum of money that's a problem, it's BT being able to dip into my bank account without permission while I continue to deal with the stray emails that are inevitably coming into my account after being at the same address for so long. This is why they gave us a free twelve months, right?

Having had to wrestle back a far larger amount in the past that BT tried to charge me on my landline direct debit for a fault that was demonstrably well outside my house, I'm a bit sensitive about their hands being in my purse. I don't feel very optimistic about ever being able to close this pointless and troublesome billing arrangement down when I need to.

0 Ratings